You have to be prepared to put your best foot forward when planning your strategy to elevate your resume to the top of the pile for hiring decision makers to consider. It’s a new world with new job search rules for job seekers and career changers. To capture the attention of hiring managers when submitting your job-winning resume, each sentence, phrase, word and section must speak loudly, concisely & intentionally to the ATS, hiring screener, HR manager, team leader & supervisor who will ultimately view your resume and make a hiring decision. Have you considered how your education, training, and certifications on your resume offers wow factors about who you are as a professional? You can wow in this area in the following ways:
- Safety training wows ! Companies will fire an employee on the 1st day on the job for violating a safety concern. When you show that you have OSHA training, HIPPA compliance training, hazmat or crisis intervention specialty training, decision makers may say, “Wow, this client understands how to keep our company in compliance with safety considerations thus saving money!”
- Lifelong learners wows! Obtaining certifications helps decision makers select you because you do what it takes to learn and then apply latest techniques, best practices and proven strategies to complex problems companies are facing. As a lifelong learner, when you take initiative to learn – even if it means doing so at your own expense, you wow ! Such certifications as CEFA – Certified Financial Analyst and Certified U.S. DOT – Certified United States Department of Transportation trains and update on latest regulations and resources for relevant work place information.
- Associate Degrees and Certifications wow! Earning a 2 year degree or specialized training as a licensed professional nursing, phlebotomy, welder, accounts payable specialist, certified construction laborer or computer repair technician wows ! Employers are looking for trained talented professionals who have acquired the knowledge to perform specific job functions. Community colleges, vocational schools and job training centers exist for this reason. Job seekers train, learn, obtain certifications, in many instances and are ready to go to work and contribute. Wow !
- Professional associations and affiliations wow! One powerful way to stand out on your resume is to join an association. Haven’t you heard that ‘membership has its privileges?” It’s true. Adding an association such as International Association of Business Communicators, Public Relations Society of America and the National Social Work Association, give you access to continuing education credits, trainings of significance in the profession and a huge group of colleagues nationwide and worldwide with whom you can connect. Isn’t that what LinkedIn is all about these days? Hiring officials will be wowed by the potential that you have to leverage your relationships in these associations and add more value to their company.
- Social media wows! Companies need to be wow’d by jobseekers who are relevant in the area of social medial. Taking a course on the latest ways to enhance social media in the workforce offered by the Small Business Association, Urban Leagues and Chamber of Commerce will help you to offer a wow factor for hiring managers. You want to wow by giving the perception that you are a subject matter expert as a result of your social media training. Companies need to be wow’d by social media experts.
Resumes are tailor made to make an impact and persuade the viewer that your talents are evident and that you have the ability to solve problems, challenge teams and successfully exceed company goals. Considering how your education, training, and certifications can wow will land your resume on the top of the pile.
Let me write it for you helps motivated job seekers and career changers to bring the wow factor to their professional correspondence including resumes, bios, cover letters, LinkedIn profiles and job search strategies.