The fourth edition of Buffalo-Niagara’s National Garden Festival will encompass six weeks, 15 gardens walks, a garden art sale and much more. The Festival runs June 21st through August 4th and includes events throughout the area as part of the country’s largest garden festivals.
New this year is the LEAF a Legacy Project, the evolution of the National Garden Festival’s Front Yard Contest. With LEAF a Legacy, landscapers will join together each year in a non-competitive environment to give a facelift to a public space within Frederick Law Olmsted’s system of parks and parkways. The inaugural project focuses on the Olmsted-designed traffic circle that links McKinley Parkway and Dorrance Avenue in South Buffalo and a stretch of McKinley Parkway that extends toward the Buffalo & Erie County Botanical Gardens. Earlier this year, this area received more than 100 new trees as part of phase one of the project. Phase two, which will entail shrub and garden plantings, will take place from July 8th to 12th.
Also on the Festival schedule:
· 15 garden walks and tours throughout the Buffalo-Niagara region featuring nearly 1,000 private gardens. Among these is Garden Walk Buffalo, the largest free garden walk in the country, with more than 350 private gardens on view, on July 27th and 28th.
· A series of motorcoach tours operated by AAA Western and Central New York’s Horizon Club Tours. Expert gardeners will lead these behind-the-scenes tours of some of Buffalo’s finest gardens; each tour includes a sit-down lunch.
· Day-long seminars at local garden centers, such as Native Plants & Sustainable Landscapes at Lockwood’s Greenhouses on July 6th and a pair of workshops on Harvesting & Designing with Flowers and Medicinal Herbs at Urban Roots on July 13th.
· The Buffalo-Style Garden Art Sale, taking place Sunday, June 30th, will feature unique and whimsical garden items from 40 vendors at the Parkside Lodge in Delaware Park.
“Buffalo is quickly becoming a gardening mecca,” said National Garden Festival Director Sally Cunningham. “The National Garden Festival is a giant garden party that brings together six weeks of garden walks, tours, speakers, Open Gardens and special events. The festival has put Buffalo at the head of garden tourism in America and tens of thousands are falling in love with our colorful, creative and lush gardens.”
Find the complete list of events and activities at www.nationalgardenfestival.com.
Quotes in this piece provided by Visit Buffalo Niagara.
Check out all of Paula’s Buffalo Examiner columns:
· Buffalo Events
· Buffalo Sports Travel
· Buffalo Travel
· Buffalo Gardening
· Buffalo Baking
· Buffalo Motorsports
Follow Paula on:
· Facebook – Paula Thompson Freelance
· Twitter – @paulat14
· Website – paulathompsonfreelance.com
· Flickr – PaulaThompsonFreelance
Contact Paula at email@example.com