Lehigh University’s Robert Hamlin, 184-pound finalist at the 2013 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, is among the college wrestlers slated to compete at the 2013 Adam Frey Classic, event organizer Josh Liebman announced Friday on Facebook.
The fifth edition of this fundraiser will be held Saturday, June 15 at Long Branch High School in Long Branch, N.J. The Classic opens at 9 a.m. with an all-day high school dual-meet tournament; the college stars take to the mat at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 each and available for purchase at the door.
Hamlin is scheduled to wrestle Jimmy Resnick of Rider University.
Other announced match-ups:
- Sal Marindino vs. Jan Rosenberg
- Nathan Kraisser (North Carolina) vs. Robert Deustch (Rider)
- Jarrod Garnett (Virginia Tech) Billy Waterson (Brown)
- Evan Henderson (North Carolina) vs. Ricky Durso (Frankin & Marshall)
- Tyler Hunt (North Carolina State) vs. Scott Festijo (Old Dominion)
- Chance Marsteller vs. Myles Martin
- Chris Dowdy (Cornell) vs. T.J. Guidice (Maryland)
- A.J. Visaconndo (West Virginia) vs. Brandan Palick (Drexel)
- Jimmy Resnick (Rider) vs. Robert Hamlin (Lehigh)
- Nestor Taffur (Boston University) vs. Tyler Nauman (Pittsburgh/Drexel)
- Scott Delveccio (North Carolina State) vs. Mike Ponagratz (University of Tennessee-Chattanooga)
- Jermaine John (Hofstra) vs. Bubba Scheffel (West Virginia)
- A.J. Mott (Grand View) vs. Ophir Bernstien (Brown)
- Ryan Dunphy (Cornell) vs. B.J. Young (Newberry)
- B.J. Clagon (Rider) vs. Todd Preston (Harvard)
- Randy Cruz (Lehigh) vs. Jamie Franco (Hofstra)
- Josh Davis (Clarion) vs. Eric Thompson (Grand View)
- Darrion Cruz (Lehigh) vs. Sam Spano (North Carolina State)
Proceeds from the Adam Frey Classic go to the Adam Frey Foundation,a non-profit organization to give comfort to and provide enjoyment for those receiving treatment for cancer. Adam Frey was a Cornell University wrestler who was diagnosed with cancer after the 2008 NCAAs. After a nearly two-year battle, Frey passed away on December 26, 2009 at age 23.
According to the website for the event, “The Classic has been modeled in Adam’s vision to not only be a event to see great athletes compete, but also be a festive atmosphere to celebrate Adam’s life and the friendships wrestling has brought to all of us.”
Want to know more? Visit the Adam Frey Classic website… and Facebook page for the 5th Annual Adam Frey Classic. And, check out a Feb. 2007 InterMat profile of Adam Frey, before his accident and diagnosis.
The season may be over… but there’s still news! Keep up with all the post-season awards, coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs and other developments year round… by clicking the “subscribe” button at the top of the page to make sure you don’t miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News’ Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It’s absolutely FREE!
College Wrestling 101: Links to College Wrestling Examiner articles answering basic questions about wrestling, including rules, scoring, uniforms, more
Follow College Wrestling Examiner Mark Palmer on Twitter