Most parents feel that when they set a parenting rule, they can’t break it for any reason. There are some parenting rules that simply don’t work out well during the summertime whether because it’s completely unreasonable, or because its incredibly useless to exhaust yourself trying to enforce something that you know will never happen. Because summer is full of long days and hot weather here are five parenting rules that you can throw right out the window once school is out and summer starts.
- Dessert isn’t only for after dinner- When it’s hot outside, it’s really unreasonable to think that you aren’t going to want a cool treat during the heat of the day. Popsicles, ice cream, or cold fruit are all welcomed treats during the day, not just after dinner time.
- Bedtime is hard to enforce- When it’s still bright out until nearly ten o’clock, it’s difficult to make your children go to bed at eight when the sun is still streaming through the windows. While it’s important to keep them on a schedule when school is in session, there is nothing but long days during the summer time. Playing outside longer into the evening will likely make them sleep better the rest of the night.
- It’s not fun to sleep in a hot bed- Many parents have a strict rule that their children sleep in their own beds. During the summer time, bedrooms and other smaller spaces that don’t have personal air conditioning units or fans can get very warm. Letting the kids sleep in the living room or even in a tent in the yard can make all the difference in how they sleep and how often they wake in the middle of the night.
- What schedule?- It is understood that parents still have to work during the summer, however, kids have no obligations unless they go to summer camp, or have their own job. Most kids do better being allowed to run around, sleep in, stay up, and play outside during the summer because they aren’t tied down with a strict school schedule and bedtimes.
- Dress codes are for school- When it’s hot outside, the last thing that a child wants to do is get all dressed in their jeans, shirts, shoes, socks and everything else just to go to the store. Sometimes, a bathing suit is the appropriate attire once summer comes around. Dressing for the weather is important because too much clothing during the summer and heat related illness becomes an issue.
What are some of your parenting rules that go right out the window during the summertime?