Teaching LinkedIn classes in and around DC is always a wonderful experience, but one thing that never ceases to amaze me is how often LinkedIn adds and removes features. Keeping up with the LinkedIn changes can be somewhat challenging. This, however, actually gives this LinkedIn trainer the opportunity to learn right along with the students – making the class a lot more interesting, and believe it or not a lot more fun.
While many people are familiar with the Facebook mention, Twitter mentions and the ability to mention someone on Google+, the LinkedIn mention has only been around for just over a month. Just like with the other social media networks, you can mention people and companies in your LinkedIn mentions. If you are curious and want to know how to get started with this new LinkedIn feature, click the View the list link below.
Find an article
1. First, find an article you want to comment on or begin by sharing a status update on your home page or profile page. (Note: In these steps, I will be showing you how to create a mention in the comment section after an article.)
Commenting on a LinkedIn Article
2. Scroll down to the comments section after the article you wish to comment on, and begin typing your comment in the box. Type the person or company name you want to mention. If they are one of your LinkedIn connections their name and profile picture will appear in the drop-down. Click on them. According to LinkedIn, “In addition to first-degree connections, you can also mention other LinkedIn members engaged in conversations in the comment sections of posts on the LinkedIn Homepage. Mentions will make it easier for you to start conversations with your network while also enabling you to respond in real-time when someone begins a conversation with you.”
Share your comment
3. Finish your status update or comment and click the share or comment button to post your content containing the person or company mention.
LinkedIn Mention Posted
4. Once you have shared your comment, you will see that the person or company name you mentioned becomes an active link (or clickable link).
LinkedIn Mention Reply
5. The person or company you mentioned can also comment on the article and mention your name in the comment. Your name will become an active link (or clickable).
Mention Included in Network Activity Updates
6. Your comment or status update will appear on your home page under your network’s activity updates with all other associated comments posted.
LinkedIn Status Update Including Mention
7. Your comment or status update will also appear on your profile page in your activity feed. This will include an excerpt from the article you commented on.
LinkedIn Mention Notification
8. The person or company you mentioned will receive a LinkedIn notification alerting them that they have been mentioned. If they respond to your comment and/or mention you in the comment, you will also receive a LinkedIn notification alerting you that you have been mentioned.
LinkedIn Mention Email Alert
9. The person or company you mentioned may also receive an email notification alerting them that they have been mentioned, if they have opted in to receive email alerts. If they, respond to your comment and/or mention you in the comment, you may also receive an email notification alerting you that you have been mentioned, if you have opted in to receive email alerts.