Because so many people name their cats after popular Disney Princesses, and sweet foods, there are way too many cats named Muffin, Ariel, and Oreo. Instead of settling for the first name that pops into our heads, wouldn’t it be more fun to brainstorm a little longer and consider other sources of pet names, such as classic children’s stories, poetry, mythology or music? In this article we will explore one way to find musical pet names.
Let’s look at Billboard’s top 100 song charts. Billboard has been publishing the musical hits since 1940, so surely their top 100 songs since 1940 should offer some possible pet names, if we consider song titles, lyrics, band titles and artists’ names. Counting down, starting from numbers 100 to 50, here are some ideas to consider:
- #100 – “You Make Me Wanna”- Usher. Would Usher be a good pet name?
- #97 – “One More Night” – Maroon 5. Maroon would be a nice name for a reddish colored cat.
- #95 – “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head” – B.J. Thomas. “B.J.” would be a very cute name for a male or female cat. “Raindrop” might not be so bad either.
- #93 – “Hurts So Good” – John Cougar. “Cougar” would be far less common than “Tigger” or “Tiger.”
- #91 – “Are You Lonesome Tonight?” – Elvis Presley. I once had a kitten named “Prissy.” When we figured out it was a male, we changed it to “Presley,” since we live in Memphis, where Elvis lived. Hey, there’s another good name – “Memphis,” birthplace of the blues!
- #86 – “All Night Long” – Lionel Richie. Does your cat want to play all night long? Name him “Lionel,” which is quite appropriate for a cat, or “Richie,” which is pretty cute, too.
- #85 – “My Sharona” – The Knack. Well, not everybody has a cat named Sharona!”
- #70 – “Rush Rush” – Paula Abdul. Betcha if you name your cat Abdul you’ll be the first on your block to do so.
- #58 – “Gold Digger” – Kanye West, featuring Jamie Foxx. “Foxx” would be a nice tag for a fluffy orange kit with a white tummy.
- #57 – “I’m a Believer” – The Monkees. Ever meet a cat called “Monkee?” I didn’t think so.
- #56 – “Tik Tok” – Ke$ha. Does your pet pounce on your bed every morning demanding breakfast? Who needs an alarm clock if “Tik Tok” licks you awake?
- #52 – “Call Me” – Blondie. Yup. That’s your yellow cat making it clear, “Call me Blondie!”
There’s over a dozen possibilities already, chosen from just the lower half of the top 100. If you look over the list yourself, you’ll find even more! Check it out and see how many good names you can get from the list. Be sure to share them with us in the comment section below!
Click here to check out another hot dozen good pet names from Billboard’s top 50 hits of all time!
Subscribe to Robyn’s updates so you can keep up with the pet naming fun. Leave your favorite can names in the comments below,and be sure to share this article with another animal lover.