Tired of cookie cutter hotels and hum drum digs? Check this out. TripAdvisor®, the jet-setter’s go-to travel site, just created a list of the quirkiest accommodations for bedding down. We’re talking rooms shaped like a giant dog, a 70-foot deep cave, a floating ferry and more, read on and pick your spot:
- For Fido fiends, the adorable Dog Bark Park Inn in Cottonwood, Idaho can be a perfect fit. The bed and breakfast, located 200 miles north of Boise, puts you in a literal doghouse that’s shaped like a beagle and named Sweet Willy. In addition to your morning meal the hotel has lots of charm and of course welcomes pets.
- For ‘cave men or women,’ the Kokopelli Cave Bed and Breakfast in Farmington, New Mexico puts you 70 feet below the ground near the Four Corners region of the U.S. in a , 1,650 square-foot guestroom appointed with Southwestern furnishings, a full kitchen, washer and dryer, and even a relaxing flagstone hot tub.
- For ‘rough necks’ El Cosmico in Marfa, Texas offers accommodations in a trailer, tent or teepee.The 18-acre property, located in the southwest region of the Lone Star state, has restored trailers with marine-varnished birch interiors, an eclectic collection of furniture and creature comforts suchas fans, heaters, refrigerators, and cooking supplies.
- Light up your life at East Brother Light Station in Point Richmond, California, on a strait between San Francisco and San Pablo Bay. The Victorian lighthouse provides a romantic experience that begins with a 10-minute ferry ride and continues win a luxurious guest room.
- For ‘school marms” the McMenamins Kennedy School in Portland, Oregon offers rooms in 57 former classrooms that still have blackboards. There are plush beds. You can also watch movies in a converted auditorium.
- Nature lovers will delight at the Starlight Llama Bed and Breakfast in Florence, Massachusetts. Located 20 miles north of Springfield in western Massachusetts, you can commune with nature and denizens such as ems, peacocks and llamas at this solar-powered facility.
- Train buffs will dig the Red Caboose Getaway in Sequim, Washington at the junction of the Olympic Mountains and the Dungeness River where you will bed down in a locomotive that with sweeping views of spectacular scenery atop of tracks. There are six refurbished themed caboose cars fitted with modern amenities such as mini refrigerators, hot tubs, and a collection of train-travel movies. There’s even a dining car serving gourmet food.
- Houseboat heaven is yours at the Green Turtle Floating Bed and Breakfast in Boston, Massachusetts. The boat, which is moored in Boston Harbor sports in-room kitchenettes, and Wi-Fi.
- Art aficionados will find heaven at 21c Museum Hotel Bentonville in Bentonville, Arkansas at this boutique property located 200 miles northwest of Little Rock. A rotating collection includes contemporary exhibitions and dynamic installations. Each room was designed noted architect Deborah Berke.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) manages and operates websites under 20 other travel media brands that include: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com,www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk,www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.jetsetter.com,www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com,www.tingo.com, www.travelpod.com, www.virtualtourist.com, www.whereivebeen.com, and www.kuxun.cn.