Summer vacation is almost here. Instead of boarding the dog, why not take them on vacation? Pack the car and head up the California coast to Mendocino because they really welcome dogs. And it’s a picture perfect scene.
Here is a glimpse of places to stay, eat and activities that are dog friendly and fun for everyone.
It seems that more hotels are allowing dogs these days. A pet per night charge is generally around $30 or more. Some places, only charge a one night fee – so do check out those policies for comparisons.
And when booking a room, don’t forget to ask for a pet friendly room.
In addition to vacation rentals, there are more than 20 places for pets to stay in Mendocino. Some on the list include:
- Stanford Inn by the Sea
- Inn at Schoolhouse Creek
- Cottages at Little River Cove
- Little River Inn
- Surf and Sand Lodge
- Sweetwater Spa and Inn
After a good night’s rest, a great place to start those activities is at Big River, right off Highway 1. Dogs are welcomed in this hub on many parts of the beach, several restaurants, and even storefronts.
On-leash dogs are allowed at the following beaches:
- Big River Beach, N. Big River Road, Mendocino
- Van Damme State Beach, Highway 1, Mendocino
- MacKerricher State Park, Highway 1, Fort Bragg
- Noyo Beach, Highway 1, North Harbor Drive – at certain times of the year they allow off leash dogs
Some other activities to consider with your four-legged friend are:
- Catch a Canoe & Bicycles, Too is a tip-proof water vessel ride which is dog and human perfect.
- Fishing and whale watching trips on All Aboard Adventures or Anchor Charter Boats
- Visit the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens
- Pomo Bluffs Park
Places to eat that allow dogs include:
- Cafe One, 753 N Main Street, Fort Bragg
- Frankie’s Pizza & Ice Cream, Ukiah St., Mendocino
- Home Style Cafe, 790 S. Main Street, Fort Bragg
- Nemo’s Fish Market, 2410 N Harbor Dr., Fort Bragg
- Piaci Pub & Pizzeria, 120 W. Redwood Avenue, Fort Bragg
- Lu’s Kitchen, 45013 Ukiah Street Mendocino
- Mendo Burgers, 10483 Lansing Street, Mendocino
- Mendocino Cafe, 10451 Lansing Street, Mendocino
- Patterson’s Pub, 10485 Lansing, Mendocino
Mendocino works hard to be a vacation destination for both humans and their pets. So, here’s to a great vacation!