Truthfully, we here at We Love Comics try to pick Kickstarter projects that are at the beginning of their pledge cycle so that the creators can get the most out f the press we are going to generate for them, However, every once in a while we happen across a project that is so wonderful that it just deserves to be mentioned. Such is the case with Alison Wilgus’ collaborative webcomic A Stray in the Woods. The story is ostensibly about a cat, a mysteriously empty house and a dark and foreboding forest, that is up online for all to read (and tips in at a whopping 250 color cat pages). However, Wilgus’ now wants to collect all of the pages in print, and issue it as a hardcopy edition.
According to Wilgus, the story is an interactive webcomic adventure that has run from September 2012 to May 2013. What makes this webcomic different than most others is that the comic’s action has been guided by her readers, That is to say, that after every update, fans of the strip would submit “commands” suggesting what the cat should do next, and she would then choose one of the “commands” as the basis for the next post. According to Wilgus, “As much as I’m happy with how A Stray in the Woods turned out as a webcomic, I’ll admit I’m really excited to see it in print — the story was always meant to be read as a whole, and the pacing works so well as physical pages, turned one by one to reveal each new Cat development.”
At 250 full-color pages, A Stray in the Woods is a hefty book to be trying to self-publish. Still, Wilgus is confident that just as her readers helped her to guide Cat through this adventure, she’s hoping that her fans and followers will assist help her in making this collected volume a reality. Some of the goals and tiers she’s incorporated in her Kickstarter program include the following:
· Handmade Print Gocco silkscreen prints! These three-color, two-screen prints will be postcard sized and printed on card stock. As they’ll be produced especially for backers, I don’t have an example to show you just yet, but here’s a preview of the design.(NOTE: Prints will also be included with ALL sketch edition and pet portrait tiers!)
· The A Stray in the Woods paperback will be 250 color pages, perfect bound, 5” x 7.5” and will contain the entire run of the comic. All backer copies will be signed.
· The PDF copy of the book will be DRM-free and identical to the print edition in terms of content.
· The theme music — which was composed especially for this Kickstarter by Paul Tuttle Starr — will be available as a high bitrate mp3.
· The exclusive postcard print will be of the graphic at the head of this Kickstarter. Only one run will ever be printed, and prints will only be available to backers.
· A limited number of sketch editions will be available, in which I’ll draw any two of the characters from A Stray in the Woods!
· Up to ten backers can also have an original full-color drawing of their pet featured on the acknowledgements pages of both the print and PDF editions of the book. A high resolution digital copy of the artwork will also be sent to them once it’s finished.
Her program only has three days left as of this posting, so if you want to get on board, you had better hurry.
robert j. Sodaro has been reviewing comicbooks for some 30 years. During that time, his reviews and articles have appeared in numerous print publications, as well as on the web. Subscribe to receive regular comicbook articles and reviews.