Summer is officially here and once again it is time to check out the activities being offered in and around Southern California. Some of these events have already begun, some are just getting started, but all of them will run through the hot summer days and cool summer evenings. There are – county fairs, theaterfests, outdoor concerts, and ocean festivals.
1. The San Diego County Fair which started June 8 will be coming to an end, as we celebrate Independence Day, on July 4. This year the fair spotlighted games from the past and their evolution over the years, from pinball and board games to televisions, videos and computers.
While these are the last days of the Fair there is still lots to see and do including a performance by Julion Alvarez on Sunday night at 7:30 p.m. on the Heineken Grandstand Stage. This concert is free, with the admission ticket to the fair, in unresearved seats on the third and fifth level, however tickets can be purchased ‘for standing room in front of the stage’, as well as for reserved seats. Also on Sunday from 1 p.m. there will be ‘Demo Derby’ at the Del Mar Arena and My Big Fair Wedding Check out the rest of the schedule here.
2. Solvang, known as California’s little Denmark began their Theaterfest on June 13, however as it runs all the way to Sept 15 there is lots of time to visit and enjoy. The outdoor theater operates mainly in the summer months, which in California can be all the way into October. Since 1974 the theater performances has been a part of what Solvang has to offer visitors, with this year’s offerings – ‘Fiddler on the Roof’ which ends July 6; ‘Spamalot’ July 13 – Aug 10; ‘Cyrano de Bergerac’ Aug 17 – Sept 1; and ‘Patsy Cline’ Sept 6 – 15.
Solvang, lis ocated in the Santa Inez Valley about a 35 minute drive from Santa Barbara, has always been a fun destination for a weekend get-a-way or short mid-week trip. This small town has a rich multi-culture heritage of Native American, Mexican, Spanish and Danish, which can be seen in the architecture, shops, restaurants and museums; especially the 1804 Santa Ines Mission – a National Historic Landmark and the Elverhoj Museum of History and Art which is dedicated to the Danish Culture.
3. Mission San Juan Capistrano will be having their ‘Music Under the Stars’ series of concerts on Saturday evenings in the courtyard, beginning July 6. Bring your own picnic makings or order – to go – from one of the restaurants members then enjoy a night under the stars with listening and dancing to bands such as, The Long Run with the timeless music of the Eagles; Jumping Jack Flash celebrating the Rolling Stones; Hot August Night a tribute to Neil Diamond; visit here for more bands, how to reserve tables, lawn seating, prices and when the gates open.
4. From July 10 – Sept 18 there will be Jazz in the Rose Garden of the Newport Beach Marriott. Every Wednesday evening starting at 6 p.m. the 4th annual ‘summer series presents popular bands, such as ‘The Four Freshmen’ in two 1-hour performances. Food and drink services will also be available at a reasonable price. Check out the seating arrangements.
5. Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night or “What You Will” previews on July 18 then continues through their 22nd season ending Aug 3. This is the ultimate fairy tale and one of the most loved comedies about a shipwreck and storm that takes the beautiful Viola to the shores of Illyria. Performances are at 8:15 p.m at the Festival Amphitheater, 12740 Main St., Garden Grove. Visit here to get your tickets.
6. San Clemente will hold there “Ocean Festival” July 20 & 21. This 2-day event is filled with – 5K beach run, standup paddleboard championships, surf contests, sand sculpting, rubber duck race, a fishing derby, and a free concert. The day starts with a popular hot and hearty pancake breakfast, from 7 a.m. – 11 a.m. both Saturday and Sunday. Then it’s off to participate in all the differfent events. There will be free parking and shuttle service from San Clemente High School to the San Clemente. Visitors can also use Amtrak or Metrolink.
More Orange County events
Orange County Parks events: