Chikara is gone. Ring of Honor has ceased production on live internet pay-per-views. Where does that leave an Eastern Iowan fan of pro wrestling to do this weekend?
Cleveland, Ohio-based Absolute Intense Wrestling has the answer as they bring “Absolution VIII” to internet pay-per-view through Smartmark Video on Demand. AIW’s annual “Absolution” events are often the company’s biggest events of the year and this one looks to be no different.
- The undercard opens with Ohio standout and independent superstar Johnny Gargano in a battle with up-and-comer Ethan Page.
- The Sex Bob-Ombs (Davey Vega & Mat Fitchett) take on the Nasty Russ & T-Money, the Jolllyville F***-Its in tag team action.
- In what could very well be a show stealer, Louis Lyndon takes on ACH in what should be a high-flying masterpiece.
- “Backyard Wrestling” video game stars Matt Cross and Josh Prohibition will team to take on the group that reshaped AIW after “Absolution VII”, the nefarious #NIXON (Rickey Shane Page and Bobby Beverley).
- In a Bunkhouse Brawl, the Submission Squad (Gary Jay, Evan Gellistico and Pierre Abernathy) will take on the Old Schoolers (Marion Fontaine and Jock Samson) with Southern wrestling legend Tracy Smothers.
- The AIW Tag Team titles are on the line in a titles vs. AIW careers match as Hope & Change (Veda Scott and Gregory Iron) defend against The Batiri (Obariyon and Kodama) with their handler Veronica Ticklefeather. This should be the one to watch for Chikara fans.
- In a No Disqualification, No Count Outs match for the Intense Division Championship, two of the hardest hitting men in pro wrestling will battle as BJ Whitmer defends against Chris Dickinson.
- ROH star Michael Elgin looks to continue to dominate the independent wrestling scene with local star Josh Kyle Alexander.
- In the semi-main event Chikara regular and AIW standout Tim Donst does battle with the returning Michael Hutter (formerly known in WWE as Derrick Bateman), a man that got his start in AIW.
- In the main event, #NIXON’s Eric Ryan defends his Absolute Championship against the man that did everything he could to earn a title opportunity, former WWECW star Colin Delaney.
With a stacked card and a big build-up, “Absolution VIII” should be worth every bit of the $14.99 pay-per-view price. The price includes the event’s original airing on Sunday, June 30 at 6:30 p.m. as well as unlimited replays. Parties interested in viewing the show can learn more about AIW at their website or order the show at SMVOD.
Subscribe to the Cedar Rapids Pro Wrestling Examiner to get more independent pro wrestling updates.