Former “X Factor” U.S. co-host Khloe Kardashian has been warned by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo that a T-shirt in her Rich Soil fashion line may be in violation of copyright law.
On May 20, 2013, the Associated Press reported: “The governor confirmed his administration sent what he called a ‘pro forma’ letter advising Kardashian that her T-shirt line resembles the logo of a New York farm program. The state’s design has an image of the Statue of Liberty above crop rows, encircled by the words ‘Pride of New York.’ Kardashian’s shirt contains the Statue of Liberty image and crop rows and, in font similar to the New York logo, the words: ‘Rich Soil New York.'”
The T-shirt (which had a retail price of $35) has since been removed from the Rich Soil website.
Rich Soil is co-owned by Kardashian and her husband, Lamar Odom.
Cuomo, Kardashian and Odom have declined the media’s requests for comment on this matter.
This isn’t the first time that an organization associated with Odom has been accused of shady business practices.
In March 2013, ESPN reported that his charity Cathy’s Kids, which was founded in 2004 and was supposed to raise money for cancer-related causes, has not donated any money to cancer-related causes. Instead, according to ESPN, of the approximately $2.2 million that Cathy’s Kids has reported getting since 2004, about 60 percent of those funds went “to finance two elite youth basketball travel teams.” The remaining 40 percent did not go to any cancer-related causes, according to ESPN.
Kardashian and Odom have been married since 2009. Although Cathy’s Kids is not a charity that was founded by Kardashian, she and Odom have both used their fame to raise money for the charity, including having a joint eBay page for fundraising.
After the ESPN report exposed how Cathy’s Kids has been spending its funds, this statement was posted on the Odom and Kardashian’s eBay page:
“Cathy’s Kids was formed with several purposes in mind, including benefitting underprivileged youth and cancer research. A decision was ultimately made that the charity should focus on one of those purposes — to help enrich the lives of underprivileged inner-city youth. It accomplished that goal. Cathy’s Kids helped fund multiple AAU basketball teams providing underprivileged youth with opportunities enriching their lives, providing financial support for coaching and travel to tournaments, helping inner-city youth on a path toward success and leading many participants to go on to college.”
Kardashian and Mario Lopez joined “The X Factor” U.S. as co-hosts in October 2012. Kardashian, who had never hosted a TV show before, got an avalanche of viewer complaints. Numerous people described her as “horrible” and “unprofessional,” and many said that they would boycott “The X Factor” as long as Kardashian was on the show. Ratings for “The X Factor” U.S. decreased significantly after Kardashian joined the show, and many viewers demanded that Kardashian get fired.
In April 2013, “The X Factor” U.S. confirmed media reports that it has not renewed Kardashian’s contract, but that Lopez will continue to host the show in 2013. Kardashian has not publicly commented on being fired from “The X Factor.” She also has not commented on a Radar Online report that her mother/manager, Kris Jenner, wanted “The X Factor” U.S. to fire Lopez and replace him with one of her older sisters.