Despite Anthony Weiner’s fervent denials, there is growing speculation among the media that Weiner is addicted to sex as evidenced by the increasing number of articles on the topic of Weiner’s possible sex addiction on July 26. Fox News, the New York Times, New York Magazine, The Washington Post and countless other news outlets are addressing the question of whether Anthony Weiner is a sex addict or not.
Charisma News reported at length on some of the reasons why they feel New York mayoral candidate Weiner needs porn addiction therapy, pointing out that many psychotherapists would consider him addicted to sex or pornography or both. After all, like many sex and porn addicts, Weiner leads a secret life risking everything, including his family and his political career, in his endless quest for sexual satisfaction.
Fox News, obviously convinced that Weiner does indeed have a serious addiction problem, posed the question “Does New York City really need an addict for mayor?
Anthony Weiner Denies Having a Sex Addiction
In his own words, Anthony Weiner has said that he is “working with people” to get help for sexting and has stated that he does not believe he has an addiction. But his behavior speaks for itself.
Apparently Weiner is so obsessed with the size of his male member that he feels compelled to put it on display. See Barbara Walters Shocks Viewers with Positive Comments about Weiner’s Erection
Granted, Weiner’s obsession/ compulsion may not be as severe a form of sex addiction as picking up prostitutes on street corners and in back alleys, or hiring call girls on a regular basis. But his behavior has all the earmarks of an addiction nonetheless.
The addictive nature of Weiner’s sexually explicit online behavior is evidenced by the fact that even after he was forced to resign in disgrace in June 2011 for sending women lewd pictures of himself, he still continued to engage in this sexting right up until the summer of 2012.
Clearly Weiner has some type of addiction whether to women, porn, sexting, online affairs, or sex itself. If what he has is a true sex addiction problem, it’s a medical condition that requires professional help.
PHOTOS: Anthony Weiner’s Wife, Huma Abedin
Is Anthony Weiner a Sex addict or Not? Judge for Yourself
Does Anthony Weiner fit the profile of a sex addict? Only a qualified medical professional can say for sure.
But any intelligent lay person can compare Weiner’s behavior with a list of behaviors and characteristics common to sex addicts and make an educated guess.
The list below was compiled from several respected medical websites. Check it out and judge for yourself whether or not Anthony Weiner has a sex addiction problem. Keep in mind that some of the behaviors and characteristics may overlap.
Behaviors and Characteristics of a Sex Addict
- The term sex addiction describes the behavior of someone who has an unusually strong sex drive or sexual obsession.
- Most sex addicts live in denial of their addiction, and the associated risks and consequences.
- Sex addiction is characterized by the addict’s lying or minimizing his involvement with sexual activities.
- Sex addicts may engage in exhibitionism, voyeurism, prostitution, compulsive masturbation, or cybersex.
- Sex addiction is defined by an addict’s compulsive use of sex to address non-sexual emotional needs. That compulsive behavior completely dominates the addict’s life.
- Sex addiction is almost always about a secret life. The addict displays increasingly secretive behavior and deception.
- A sex addict has an uncontrollable urge to have sex with many different partners.
- Like all addicts, a sex addict, will continue such behaviors despite decreased pleasure and the negative and serious consequences they bring.
- Although women can be sex addicts too, the majority of people who struggle with sex addiction are men, and their sex addiction becomes the most important need in their lives.
- Sex addicts turn to sex when they need comfort, like binge eaters turn to food.
- Sex and thoughts of sex dominate a sex addict’s thinking, making it difficult to work or engage in healthy personal relationships.
- Most sex addicts have an intense preoccupation with sexual urges, fantasies and behaviors
- Like an alcoholic unable to stop drinking, sexual addicts are unable to stop their self-destructive sexual behavior.
- A sex addict may withdraw or become frustrated over his inability to cut back or stop engaging in his addictive behavior.
- A sex addict will continue to engage in certain sexual behaviors despite facing potential health risks, financial problems, shattered relationships or even arrest.
- Like other addicts, a sex addict becomes preoccupied with a behavior that is used to numb his or her feelings.
- A sex addict lacks normal coping mechanisms and uses sex as a way to self-medicate every feeling.
- Behaviors associated with sexual addiction include multiple partners, multiple affairs, and unsafe sex.
- Some sex addicts are known to be shameful, suicidal, and prone to other addictions, as well.
- People with a sex addiction often have a history of emotional and sexual abuse.
- A man who is addicted to sex will use sexual activities to escape from his problems.
- A sex addict will often waste time or neglect other responsibilities because of his sexual preoccupation.
- Sexual addiction is often accompanied by other addictions, such as an addiction to work or chemicals.
NOTE: Please feel free to Tweet this article, like it, or share it with your Facebook friends.
For more articles about political or celebrity sex scandals, visit www.CelebrityInfidelity.com, www.RuthsCelebrityGossip.com or www.NationalInfidelity.com
*** © copyright 2013 Ruth Houston / All Rights Reserved.
Ruth Houston is a journalist, author, columnist, speaker and member of the American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA) specializing in celebrity and lifestyle topics. She writes a Celebrity Infidelity column, and is frequently called on by the media to comment on celebrity infidelity scandals, high profile infidelity court cases, and popular infidelity/ relationship issues in the news. Ruth also does cruise ship lectures on celebrity scandals, as well as other lifestyle topics. To interview infidelity expert Ruth Houston, or have her speak at your next event, call 718 592-6029 or e-mail InfidelityExpert@gmail.com