Aspen/Snowmass announced today that registration is now open for the Power of Four Mountain Bike Race Saturday, August 3. This race combines the four ski areas of Aspen/Snowmass – Snowmass, Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands and Buttermilk – into one challenging course.
The field will consist of solo racers and relay teams (of two or four) from the avid bike community that exists in Aspen/Snowmass, regionally and beyond.
Racers will start at the base of Snowmass and end at the bottom of Aspen Mountain. With an estimated 9,000′ vertical gain, 9,000′ vertical drop over 36 miles on top rated single track, demanding double track ascents and coverage over four mountains this race will challenge even the fittest riders.
Shock Top Belgian White will raffle off a custom 2013 Yeti SB95 at the conclusion of the race. All race participants will be automatically entered and must be present to win. The bike will be ordered to size.
The public is encouraged to watch from the following locations. Please note that these times are an estimate based on the average racer….
8 a.m. – Snowmass Base Village for the start of the race
9 a.m. – Ride Elk Camp Gondola (or hike up) to view from Elk Camp Café
10 a.m. – Base of Tiehack
Noon to 4 p.m. – Top of Aspen Mountain
12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. – Base of Aspen Mountain for the finish
Online registration is open at www.aspensnowmass.com/poweroffour. Registration costs are $85 for solo racers; $150 for teams of two and $225 for teams of four through July 26, 2013. After July 26 the entry fee will increase.
For the course map, and additional information visit www.aspensnowmass.com/poweroffour.
Race Course (subject to change):
- Stage 1: Snowmass
- Start at 8 a.m. in Base Village (at the base of the Village Express lift in Snowmass)
- Ride up Snowmass to the base of Big Burn/Ullrhof to Cross Mountain Trail
- Cross Mountain trail over to Elk Camp Summer Road
- Elk Camp Summer Road to top of Vapor Trail
- Vapor trail to Government Trail, Government Trail to Buttermilk Tiehack
- Relay at Tiehack for Teams of 4
- Stage 2: Buttermilk
- Base of Tiehack to top of Buttermilk via Summer Roads
- Top of Buttermilk to Government Trail
- Government Trail to base of Tiehack
- Relay at Tiehack for Teams of 2 & 4
- Stage 3: Aspen Highlands
- Tiehack parking lot to base of Highlands via the ARC bridge and up the bike path to the base of Aspen Highlands
- Aspen Highlands Summer Road up to the Grand Traverse
- Grand Traverse to the Congo Trail
- Congo Trail down to Castle Creek Road
- Relay for Teams of 4 at Castle Creek Road/Midnight Mine Road
- Stage 4: Aspen Mountain
- Castle Creek Road to Midnight Mine Road
- Midnight Mine road to the top of Aspen Mountain
- Single track descent to finish line at the base of Aspen Mountain
Solo race categories: Male, Female, Singlespeed
Teams of two relay race categories: Male, Female, Co-ed
Team Member 1: Snowmass & Buttermilk
Team Member 2: Aspen Highlands & Aspen Mountain
Teams of four relay race categories: Male, Female, Co-ed
Team Member 1: Snowmass (to Tiehack on Buttermilk)
Team Member 2: Buttermilk
Team Member 3: Aspen Highlands
Team Member 4: Aspen Mountain