Maybe it’s because we have easy access to seafood and a wide variety of wild game. Maybe it’s because Florida got into the cattle and pork industries so early on.
Whatever the reasons, Floridians eat lots of meat.
And there’s plenty of it grown right here.
Ask yourself how far you’re willing to drive for a really, really good deal on fresh meat
Like most people, your Greater Jacksonville Examiner does her grocery shopping at a large chain store.
It’s convenient. Everything under one roof, right?
You get variety, acceptable quality.
The big stores buy in bulk, so, in theory, this should mean that their prices are better than smaller mom-and-pops who don’t have the same buying power.
But what if using just a little more gas can save you big on meat?
Hang on to your hats
Many smaller, locally-owned and operated meat markets offer great discounts on bulk purchases up to and including sides of beef, pork, etc.
Today at Tillman’s Meat & Produce on Old St. Augustine Rd. in Jacksonville, you can buy this freezer special for $110:
- 2 filet mignon
- 2 rib-eye steaks
- 4 chopped sirloins
- 1 boneless beef roast
- 6 1-lb. packages of ground beef
- 2 cut-up “fryer” chickens
- 2 1-lb. packages of hot dogs
- 12 bone-in pork chops
- 1 bone-in pork roast
- 3 1-lb. packages of bacon
- 2 1-lb. packages of ground sausage
Tillman’s also offers a Half Freezer Special for $55.00.
What a smoking damn deal!
The Greater Jacksonville Examiner challenges you to shop and compare.
Below is a list of small, family-owned and -operated meat markets with reputations for quality.
Exercise your brain without exhausting your wallet by tracking down some of the best deals in the area on fresh meats and seafood
Often there is better a better variety of meat than in a big grocery store, and most accept EBT and SNAP benefits.
Local meat markets – Jacksonville Proper
- Geiger Meats – 1121 Calhoon Rd. South, Jacksonville, Fla. 32221-6165, 904-378-9040
- Harold’s Meat Market – 11219 Lem Turner Rd., Jacksonville, Fla. 32218, 904-765-1686
- Harlow Freezer (Lee’s Carroll’s) – 6020 Harlow Blvd., Jacksonville, Fla. 904-771-2193
- Houston Meats #1 – 12545 N. Main St., Jacksonville, Fla. 32218, 904-757-1888
- Houston Meats #2 – 11058 New Kings Rd., Jacksonville, Fla. 32219-2138, 904-768-6708
- Lee’s Carroll’s Meat Shoppe – 2242 University Blvd. North, Jacksonville, Fla. 32211-3266, 866-409-4039
- Pinegrove Market and Deli – 1511 Pinegrove Ave., Jacksonville, Fla. 32205, 904-389-8655
- Tillman’s Meat & Produce – 10177 Old St. Augustine Rd., Jacksonville, Fla. 904-268-1535
- Cowart’s Meat Market – 530 S. US 17, Palatka, Fla. 32187-2311, 386-325-5003
- Fleming Island Choice Meats – 4324 Raggedy Point Rd., Fleming Island, Fla. 32003, 904-278-7002
- Lawtey Supermarket – 1672 Madison St., Lawtey 32058, 904-782-3161
- Roy’s Market – 12876 SE 21st Ave., Starke, Fla. 32091-6916, 904-364-7019
- Ward’s Supermarket – 515 NW 23rd Ave., Gainesville, Fla. 32609, 352-372-1741
- Wester’s Choice Meats – 2550 US 1 South, St. Augustine, Fla. 32086-6194, 904-797-4288
If you just need an excuse to get out of town for the day
- Felton’s Market – 617 N. Maryland Ave., Plant City, Fla. 33563, 813-752-1548
- Green’s Market, Meat & Produce – 3448 Ave. G NW, Winter Haven, Fla. 33880-1834, 863-299-4798
- Mac’s Meat Market – 1277 1st St. South, Winter Haven, Fla. 33880-3946, 863-299-1444
©2013 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: email@example.com