Today radio station The Fish 103.9FM, Fox News, Bridgeway Church, and others sponsored a family concert at Gibson Ranch in Elverta which also raised funds for a non-profit, Courage Worldwide (C2BU), dedicated to rescuing and rehabilitating girls from sexual slavery.
At the C2BU booth, one of the young women rescued from sex trafficking, 26 years old today, goes by the name of Grace. Her true name is withheld for privacy. She was sold for sex by her own parents when she was six years old, and was finally rescued at the age of 23 and was adopted by C2BU founder, Jenny Williamson.
“The first thing I did when they brought me into their home, was turn over my mobile phone,” Grace said. “I realized that I had no idea of how to live life appropriately.”
According to Grace the social norms in her on-line world were much lower than what is actually acceptable.
One of the major cyber safety concerns is the disconnect from truth and disruption to family relations. A recent Fox News story highlights this point, wherein a Minnesota cheerleader was arrested for prostituting a 16-year-old girl.
They were “friends”, serving on the same cheer squad.
“I can understand why the girl being prostituted went along with it. She wanted acceptance from her ‘friend’,” Grace said. “And the girl that sold her for sex needs help too. We need to stop being judgmental and make it safe to admit what she did and change her ways.”
Grace offers the following advice for parents:
- Don’t give your children privacy, especially with mobile phones and social media. Check the texts and posts.
- Don’t get mad at your children. Think about what you have done in your past and admit to yourself and to them that you are not perfect and have made mistakes and have regrets. Give your kids a chance to make the right choices with your support.
“I like who I am,” Grace said. “I let God transform me from the inside out. Gentleness disarms people and heals.”
Make a donation at Courage Worldwide
- Banana Moments: Help For Parenting In the Network Culture
- The Authority In Me
- Courage Worldwide
- The Fish 103.9FM
- Bridgeway Christian Church
- CyberParenting Topics on The Fish 103.9FM Tuesdays
- Follow Joanna @CyberParenting
- Like Banana Moments
- Parents Who Rock Meet Up
- Sign up to receive Banana Moments quarterly and monthly updates