On Sunday, July 21 at 5 p.m., The J. Clyde (1312 Cobb Lane, Birmingham) will host Boulevard Brewing Company and their Brewmaster Steven Pauwels for a very special beer dinner at the pub.
Founded in 1989, Boulevard Brewing was built on a hope and a dream in a craft beer environment that was not anywhere near as established as it is today. Determined to succeed, founder John McDonald did whatever he had to, including delivering his brewery’s first keg with the use of his own pick-up. Since then, the brewery has become the largest specialty brewer in the Midwest by simply keeping with their mission to produce fresh, flavorful beers using the finest traditional ingredients and the best of both old and new brewing techniques. This approach to their business has gained Boulevard a reputation of producing some of the most consistent and sought after beers in the nation.
The J. Clyde’s Chef Charles Nichols has prepared quite the elaborate and decadent menu for all of those that will be in attendance at this beer dinner. The meal will consist of the following reception and five courses, each expertly paired with an impressive line-up of Boulevard offerings:
- Reception: Shrimp Cocktail – A traditional shrimp cocktail served with local pickled vegetables. Paired with KC Pils.
- First Course: Crawfish Cake – Roasted Silver Queen corn sauced with remoulade, accompanied by tossed microgreens. Paired with Saison-Brett.
- Second Course: Grapefruit and Red Onion Salad – Ruby Red grapefruit supremes, pickled red onion, Granny Smith apples, and bleu cheese crumbles atop mixed greens tossed in a citrus IPA dressing. Paired with 80-Acre Hoppy Wheat Beer.
- Third Course: Bourbon Smoked Salmon Tacos – In-house smoked salmon flash fried and served on a corn tortilla. Garnished with fried rutabaga matchsticks, fresh cucumber pico de gallo, bean sprouts, and cucumber dill sauce. Paired with Love Child No. 3 Barrel-aged Wild Ale.
- Fourth Course: Espresso-rubbed Bison Short Rib – Slow braised with root vegetables, served with a savory pork belly and banana nut bread pudding. Paired with Coffee Ale.
- Fifth Course: Petite Orange Dream Cupcake – Topped with orange frosting with a wild berry coulis. Paired with Long Strange Tripel.
Throughout the dinner, Brewmaster Steven Pauwels will be on hand to inform those in attendance about his brewery and the featured beer pairings.
Cost of this dinner is $55 per person before tax and gratuity. Seating for this event is available by reservation only, and you can arrange yours by calling 205.939.1312, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by simply letting your server or bartender know the next time you swing by The J. Clyde.
I have attended many beer dinners at The J. Clyde over the years, and I have to say that this is one of the more impressive menus they have ever done. With that said, I urge you to make your reservations as soon as possible to ensure you do not miss this dinner. There are still tickets available, but they are limited and going fast because local beer lovers know how much of a treat it is to have Boulevard Brewing Company and Brewmaster Pauwels in Birmingham. I hope to see many of you at The J. Clyde on Sunday for what is sure to be a memorable event. Prost!