The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced a cheese recall on July 5. Whole Foods Market is recalling Crave Brothers Les Freres cheese in response to a recall by the Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese Company due to their products’ high potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
The Waterloo, Wis.-based cheese supplier sold the affected cheese products nationwide using Whole Foods Market scale labels.
In an ongoing investigation by local and state health regulatory agencies – following illness and death case reports covering four states – the Wisconsin cheese company has immediately ceased the production and distribution of the products.
The list of recalled cheese products are as follows:
- Ark., La., Okla. and Texas will bear Les Freres on the labels with the PLU number 299682
- Colo., Idaho, Kan., N. M. and Utah will bear Crave Brothers Les Freres on the labels with PLU number 299682
- Fla. will bear Les Freres Wash Rind Product of USA on the labels with PLU number 294473
- Ky., Md., N.J. (stores in Marlton and Princeton only,) Pa., Ohio, Va. and Wash. D.C. will bear Crave Bros Les Freres on the labels with PLU number 294473
- Ill., Ind., Iowa, Mich., Minn., Mo., Neb. and Wis. will bear Crave Brothers Les Freres Cheese by Pound on the labels with PLU number 294473
- Ore. and Wash. will bear Les Freres Crave Brothers on the labels with PLU number 294473
- Ala., Ga., N.C., S.C. and Tenn. will bear Les Freres Crave Brothers PO-RK on the labels with PLU number 294473
The affected Crave Brothers Les Freres cheese products were processed and packaged in clear plastic wrap with Whole Foods Market labels clearly indicated.
One illness and one death have been reported to date, according to FDA reports.
Those who have purchased any of the recalled cheese products should discard the food immediately and to bring in the store receipt for a full refund of the purchased price.
If you found this article informative, receive email updates from the National Supermarket Recalls Examiner whenever a new article is published by clicking on the ‘subscribe’ link located at the bottom of the page.
Other articles published by Sue can be found here:
National Grocery Examiner
Newark Bereavement and Parenting Examiner
NY Celebrity Examiner
National Edible Gardening Examiner
Newark News Examiner
Follow and “Like” Sue on Facebook for all her Examiner articles. Also, catch Sue on Twitter:@ImSue2, Google+, Pinterest and Sue’s blog site.
©Sue Robinson, All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. The first-two sentence of this article is permitted for reposting with a link reverting back to the original article source.