The secret to making a moist zucchini bread recipe is in the sauce — in this case, applesauce. This chocolate chip zucchini bread from scratch brings together the sweetness of chocolate chips and applesauce plus the spice of ground cinnamon. It’s a delicious chocolate dessert that is also healthy!
This chocolate chip zucchini bread bakes in about an hour and tastes delicious with a bit of butter and cream cheese. Serve it hot right out of the oven or allow it to cool, then wrap the zucchini bread in plastic to keep it moist to take with you to work for an after lunch treat.
Recipe for chocolate chip zucchini bread from scratch
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 c. applesauce
- 2 c. flour, all-purpose
- 2 Tbsp cocoa, unsweetened
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c. shredded zucchini, 1 medium-sized squash, finely grated
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips, semisweet
- Heat the oven to 350.
- Spray a 9-inch by 5-inch bread pan with the cooking spray and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and vegetable oil in a large bowl, using a mixer. Set to low speed. Blend until the mixture is completely blended.
- Stir the applesauce into the moist zucchini bread recipe batter.
- Add flour plus cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and the salt to another bowl, stirring these ingredients together with a whisk.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar and egg mixture, beating everything together until the batter becomes moist.
- Stir the chocolate chips and the grated zucchini into this mixture.
- Using a spoon, add the chocolate chip zucchini bread batter to the mixture.
- Add the batter to your bread pan.
- Insert into the oven and bake for an hour or so or until you can poke the bread with a toothpick and it comes out of the bread almost clean with little bread batter residue.
Let the chocolate chip zucchini bread cool in the pan for 10 to 20 minutes.
Then remove it, allowing it to cool even longer on a wire cooling rack.
- Serves about 12 to 16 slices.
- Combine chocolate and walnuts for additional flavors and textures.
- For general instructions on making zucchini bread, watch the video at the top of the screen.