In a TV interview following his rescue on Monday of three women held captive in a Cleveland house of horrors, “hero” Charles Ramsey told reporters he suspected something was amiss when he heard young Amanda Berry screaming. “I figured it’s a domestic violence dispute,” he said, adding that he rushed to Berry’s assistance because he “was raised to help women in distress.”
It turns out Ramsey knows a thing or two about domestic violence. The Smoking Gun reports that the 43-year-old microcelebrity is a convicted felon whose rap sheet includes three separate domestic violence convictions. He was sentenced to prison on more than one occasion, including once for violating the terms of his bail.
Ramsey’s first domestic violence charge came in February 1997. He entered a no contest plea a year later and was found guilty of the count by a Cleveland Municipal Court judge. While waiting to be sentenced, Ramsey was again arrested for domestic violence.
At the time of Ramsey’s second collar, in July 1998, he was already the subject of an arrest warrant issued in connection with his failure to appear for a court hearing in the first domestic violence case. As a result, Ramsey was jailed for violating terms of his release on bond. Ramsey subsequently entered a no contest plea to the second case and was, again, found guilty by a Cleveland judge.
Ramsey’s third bust for domestic abuse came in January 2003. He was charged with felony “domestic violence with prior conviction,” according to the police report, which records Ramsey’s height and weight as 6’ 5” and 230 pounds respectively. Following his conviction, the judge issued a protective order covering his wife, Rochelle, the couple’s daughter (who is now 15), and Rochelle’s son from a prior relationship.
After pleading guilty, Ramsey was sentenced to eight months in prison and ordered, following his release from custody, to be placed on “post release control” supervision for the maximum term allowable by Ohio law.
- Escort who tried to bite off man’s penis charged with attempted murder
- U.S. in need of heroes to worship
- Fox cancels long-running series COPS; libs celebrate
- Car buyer performs oral sex on seller to lower sale price
- WH releases state-by-state impact of sequestration
- Anti-Semitic teacher is out at fashion school but not because of student protest
- MA state rep sends dirty pix to female co-worker; media bury party affiliation
- NJ Dem with taste for S & M outed in kinky emails
- Man who claimed his intention was to rape but not kill 6-month-old is executed
For more articles and headlines, be sure to check out Liberty Unyielding. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook.