As previously reported here, a 1963 recording of Bob Dylan performing his composition “Farewell” will be featured in the upcoming Coen brothers film, “Inside Llewyn Davis.” Now Nonesuch Records has announced the track will also be included on the official album:
… a never-before-released version of Bob Dylan performing his song ‘Farewell,’ which was recorded during the sessions for his album ‘The Times They Are A-Changin” and is available exclusively on this soundtrack …
According to Bjorner, the recording must have taken place during the first session for the “Times” album, at New York’s Columbia Recording Studios, in Studio A, on August 6. Four takes were listed, but the first was interrupted, and the next two were only false starts. The fourth take, presumably the one on the soundtrack, is the only known “complete” version, although not all verses were included.
Below is the track listing. Notice Dylan has also covered, or been influenced by, some of these songs:
- 1. Hang Me, Oh Hang Me – Oscar Isaac (Traditional; Arranged by Oscar Isaac & T-Bone Burnett) 3:26
- 2. Fare Thee Well (Dink’s Song) – Oscar Isaac & Marcus Mumford (Traditional; Arranged by Marcus Mumford, Oscar Isaac, T-Bone Burnett) 3:01
- 3. The Last Thing on My Mind – Stark Sands with Punch Brothers (Tom Paxton) 3:35
- 4. Five Hundred Miles – Justin Timberlake, Carey Mulligan, Stark Sands (Hedy West) 3:27
- 5. Please Mr. Kennedy – Justin Timberlake, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver (Ed Rush, George Cromarty, T-Bone Burnett, Justin Timberlake, Joel Coen, Ethan Coen) 1:59
- 6. Green, Green Rocky Road – Oscar Isaac (Len Chandler & Robert Kaufman) 3:18
- 7. The Death of Queen Jane – Oscar Isaac (Traditional; Arranged by Oscar Isaac & T-Bone Burnett) 3:58
- 8. The Roving Gambler – John Cohen with The Down Hill Strugglers (Traditional) 3:05
- 9. The Shoals of Herring – Oscar Isaac with Punch Brothers (Ewan MacColl) 1:41
- 10. The Auld Triangle – Chris Thile, Chris Eldridge, Marcus Mumford, Justin Timberlake, Gabe Witcher (Brendan Behan) 2:42
- 11. The Storms Are on the Ocean – Nancy Blake (A.P. Carter) 3:16
- 12. Fare Thee Well (Dink’s Song) – Oscar Isaac (Traditional; Arranged by Oscar Isaac) 2:46
- 13. Farewell – Bob Dylan (Bob Dylan) 2:07
- 14. Green, Green Rocky Road – Dave Van Ronk (Len Chandler & Robert Kaufman) 3:45
The album is scheduled to be released on September 17. T-Bone Burnett, and Joel and Ethan Coen produced the soundtrack, with Marcus Mumford acting as associate producer.
While the Dylan track has been heavily bootlegged, this is the first official release of the studio version. A longer take (3:59), from the Witmark demos, was included in volume nine of the “Bootleg Series.”
Dylan has only been known to perform the song a handful of times, all in 1963.
Thanks to Stephen Badolato for his input.
Keep up with Bob Dylan Examiner news. Just click on Subscribe above, or follow @DylanExaminer on Twitter. Harold Lepidus also writes the Performing Arts column for usedview.com. Thanks for your support.