A campaign fundraising letter sent by Guy Cecil, executive director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, implied members of the Tea Party support Nazism, but Jim Hoft of the Gateway Pundit called it a “smear” on Sunday, after learning that the statement was based on a report at the New York Times.
“At one Tea Party rally this week, mobs chanted ‘Waterboard Obama, Waterboard Hillary,” Benson’s letter read. “At another, radicals waved signs with Nazi symbols,” he added.
As written, the letter implies that members of the Tea Party supports fascism and Nazism.
On Saturday, Hoft demanded Cecil provide proof of his assertion and offered a reward of $3,150 payable to “Elizabeth Warren’s favorite minority women’s support group.”
It turns out that Cecil took a report at the New York Times out of context to make his assertion, a move Hoft said would make Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels proud.
“Johnette, appreciate the way you asked the question compared to others. Enjoy your weekend,” Cecil tweeted in response to one person’s inquiry, linking to the story at the New York Times.
“On Tuesday, rallies across the country to protest the Internal Revenue Service’s targeting of Tea Party groups seeking tax-exempt status recalled those glory days, drawing colorful crowds in three-cornered hats, with members singing patriotic songs and waving provocative signs like ‘Fire the Liars’ and ‘I.R.S.S.’ — the last two letters drawn like the lightning bolts of the Nazi SS,” the Times reported on Tuesday.
The sign was clearly intended to criticize the IRS, but Cecil left that out of his fundraising letter.
Several people took Cecil to task for his smear of the Tea Party.
“Hey @gatewaypundit did you see @guycecil linked to his source for the Nazi smear against the Tea Party. He basically #Backtracks nazi claim,” tweeted “Hating Breitbart.” “Not only that but the link proves the opposite of his racist implication.”
“If there was any proof of #Teaparty w/Nazi signs or screaming waterboard Obama it’d be everywhere,” added “TriciaNC.”
“So what lies do you have planned for next week?” Jim Hoft asked.
Cecil’s fundraiser came on the heels of another Democratic Party email claiming Republicans made up the scandals that plague the White House “out of thin air” to hurt Obama.
- DNC fundraising email claims GOP made up scandals against Obama
- Jay Carney to Piers Morgan: Scandals involving IRS, Benghazi, AP ‘don’t exist’
- Armed Homeland Security agents monitor Tea Party at IRS protests
- Bette Midler thanks IRS for targeting Tea Party groups
- Is the ‘mainstream media’ fomenting violence against conservatives?
- Did David Plouffe justify IRS targeting conservative Tea Party groups?
- Former IRS chief testimony: ‘I don’t think targeting is wrong’ – Videos
- IRS official in charge during Tea Party targeting now runs Obamacare office
- Nancy Pelosi blames Bush for IRS scandal, says Obama ‘great president’
- Flashback: Chuck Schumer, Al Franken sign letter demanding IRS target Tea Party groups in 2012
- Report: ‘Rogue’ IRS agents ‘simply did what their bosses ordered’
- IRS ordered list of high school, college students trained by conservative group
- Franklin Graham: IRS targeted ministry after criticism of Obama
- ABC political analyst: IRS scandal emanates from the White House
- NAACP chair: Legitimate for IRS to target ‘admittedly racist’ Tea Party
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.