Retired Archbishop Desmond Tutu said he would rather go to hell than a “homophobic heaven” while speaking at the kickoff of “Free and Equal,” the UN’s first global campaign to promote gay rights, the UK Daily Mail reported Saturday.
“I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. No, I would say sorry, I mean I would much rather go to the other place,” he said.
Tutu, however, wasn’t finished.
“I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this,” he added.
The retired clergyman also said he is just as passionate about gay rights as he was about apartheid.
“For me, it is at the same level,” he said.
A post at the Catholic World Report wasn’t impressed with Tutu’s statement.
“That is a sad bit of commentary on the sort of confused ‘thinking’, touted by so many politicians and religious leaders, that cannot distinguish between race/ethnicity and freely chosen actions,” Carl E. Olson wrote.
Olson called Tutu’s remarks “ridiculous,” characterizing them as “simply activist, secularist hysteria dressed up in clerical, pious garb.”
U.N. human rights chief Navi Pillay said that same-sex relationships are illegal in more than a third of countries around the world and punishable by death in five. According to Amnesty International, homosexual acts are illegal in 38 African countries. Pillay says this is something she wants to change.
“I constantly hear governments tell me, ‘but this is our culture, our tradition and we can’t change it’… So we have lots of work to do,” she said.
“Oddly enough,” Olson added, “those countries are not identified, perhaps because all of them are under Islamic rule.”
The Blaze said the multipronged campaign announced in South Africa “will include videos and public-service announcements distributed through social media, a new website, a series of fact sheets, and engagement by celebrities well-known in different regions of the world.”
According to the Daily Mail, Tutu has long campaigned for gay rights.
One reader at BizPac Review had a short message for Tutu: “God will grant your wish if that is truly what you want Tutu.”
- Church booted from NY restaurant over sermon on same-sex attraction
- San Antonio proposal would ban anyone opposed to homosexuality from city council
- Christian preacher arrested for calling homosexuality a sin in public
- Colorado baker faces year in jail for refusing to make cake for gay wedding
- Colorado baker target of gay protest for not baking wedding cake
- Oregon bakery target of threats, ‘terrorism’ for refusal to serve gay wedding
- Report: Man arrested for assaulting street preacher at gay event has long record
- Report: DOJ requires employees to verbally affirm homosexuality
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
- Conservative teen gets death threats after posting anti-gay marriage video
- Gay sex columnist to Bill Maher: I wish all Republicans were f—–g dead
- Gay activist curses, bashes Bible, Christians, GOP in speech to high school kids
- Liberals accuse Kirk Cameron of hate speech for expressing Christian beliefs
- Report: Army officer labels Christian organizations as ‘hate groups’ in email
- Lesbian activist: Gay marriage fight a ‘lie’ to destroy traditional marriage
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, PolitiCollision, Liberty Unyielding and Spokane FAVS.
Be sure to listen to “Grit and Grace” every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.