Note: All screen names used on this post are completely made up by yours truly. If they do happen to exist, that’s the owner’s problem for being lame, not mine for being catty. ;-)
“I think your Match screen name might turn guys off.” A friend and fellow online dater said to me one bright, sunny afternoon.
“Nu uh!” I proclaimed. I had a cute screen name, dammit! How could something as cute as cranny05 possibly scare dudes off?
“Well, I think it kind of sounds like granny.”
“Well,” I said, of course, defensively, because I’m easily propelled into defensive mode, “If some guy is turned off because my screen name makes him think of his grandmother, then he is so not the kind of guy I want to talk to anyway.” I may or may not have crossed my arms and stamped my foot.
Yes, maybe I got a little too defensive with her. But, she made a valid point, not about my screen name (I still think it ruled), but about screen names in general. Can a screen name scare off suitors, causing you to miss potential matches?
According to the friends I bullied into giving me their opinion on the matter and a little FB poll I took, yes it can. Here’s the interesting feedback I received:
- Avoid anything that contains numbers meant to be words, like 4U or 2Cute. Yes, 2cute4u is super annoying.
- Don’t refer to yourself Mr. Wonderful or princess. A screen name like princess_89 sends the assumption that you’re a complete diva. And, if you feel the need to point out that you’re mr_wonderful_89, in realty, you’re probably a major douche.
- Refrain from using your screen name as a means to profess your love for your favorite band/singer songwriter, like phishlovah or rkellylovah. (Note: Anyone who publicly admits to being an R. Kelly fan on an online dating site should be avoided, unless you’re into golden showers, then by all means, go for it, dude.)
- Watch the sports team references. Yes, pats_fan_109, I’m talking to you.
- Don’t show off how hot you are. A name like Hotness_1991 is a total turnoff according to my guy pals.
- Avoid anything that insinuates sex or your kinky side. Save it for the email exchange if that’s the way you roll. Apparently, there a lot of female screen names like the floating around on OkCupid, which is not okay.
- Never be creepy or reveal your murderous intentions. A name like baby face_killer will totally tip off your potential victims. (Okay, so this one is a joke my friend Brad came up with, but a creepy screen name won’t get you anywhere, except maybe on an FBI watch list or something.)
- Don’t show your love for narcotics. PillPopper78 is not a good screen name idea.
- Don’t be cheesy. No one wants to date a cheese ball.
- And, last but not least, don’t use any words that rhyme with granny. ;-)
What kinds of screen names turn you off? I’m all ears. And, as always, happy online dating!