Earlier in the morning on May 30, Tim Schaefer, founder of Double Fine, the developer behind “Brutal Legend”, “Psychonauts”, and “The Cave” announced “Massive Chalice”, the company’s latest foray into PC gaming. The announcement came via Twitter and directs all to the increasingly popular Kickstart website, where Double fine is looking for a pledge of $725,000 to consider the project funded.
The Kickstarter page for “Massive Chalice” describes the game as a “turn-based tactics and feudal fantasy” lovechild. This PC exclusive title will run on Double Fine’s in-house Buddha engine, which powered many of the developers’ previous titles, including “Brutal Legend”. “Massive Chalice” will be a single player turn-based strategy game which pits gamers in the throne of an immortal king or queen.
Divided into two separate layers, Double Fine has created a game that requires thought-filled strategy in building and maintaining the kingdom. “Arrange royal marriages, conduct research, and make the far-reaching decisions that will determine the fate of your legacy”, the announcement goes on to explain. The game’s tactics will take precedence in turn-based battles, where customizable heroes will either rise or fall.
Separating itself from other turn-based strategy games, “Massive Chalice” increases strategy by making heroes vulnerable to natural death. Over time, they will age and eventually die, leaving gamers with the choice of either retiring their heroes from battle to allow fresh faces to fight or forcing them to push on through to the very end. Players will get attached to their heroes only to watch them wither into old men and women or fall on the battlefield.
“Massive Chalice” will thrive on its uniqueness, which is amplified by the randomization of each playthrough. When a new game is started, every aspect is randomized, ensuring that no two experiences are the same.
Some of the game’s features listed include:
• Your story emerges as you defend against attacks, complete quests, and respond to randomized events in your attempt to preserve the kingdom.
• Line of sight and fog of war mechanics come into play as your squad explores beautiful dynamic 3D battlefields where danger may lurk behind any corner.
• Distinct, customizable heroes learn new melee, ranged, and arcane abilities as they age and gain combat experience.
• Arrange marriage alliances to ensure your heroic bloodlines can handle any future combat situation.
• Battle alongside your ancestors by equipping your heroes with uniquely powerful Bloodline Relics.
• Invest your resources in forging new weapons and armor—and gamble on polluting a bloodline by researching dangerous demonic artifacts.
To pledge to Double Fine’s cause and help “Massive Chalice” reach its goal, check out the game’s Kickstarter page. To help, Double Fine is offering an assortment of incentives that increase with the amount donated.
Double Fine has been known in the past for its wildly unique take on gaming and there’s no doubt that “Massive Chalice” will fit right in to the company’s oddball repertoire.