In just a few short weeks, summer’s pastels and brights will be sitting in the drawer to make room for the richer hued beauty products. We asked Elizabeth West, nail technician at the Spa at Corn Hill in Rochester, for her thoughts on fall nail trends.
“Nail art and embellishments are NOT going away,” says West. She also predicts that “little bits of bling, especially edgy gold studs are hot. Also, a Fall 2013 runway trend: half moon manis. That’s when the ‘lunula’ or whitish, half moon section at the base of your nail is painted a different color than the rest of your nail.”
Fashionistas know best — your nails are accessories just like that bracelet or chunky necklace you wear to add that special touch to your outfit. Go ahead and show off those nails just as you would a piece of sparkling jewelry.
Must-have colors to add to your fall nail polish collection:
- Deep wine
- Red-based brown
- Burnt orange
How to make the most of fall’s bold nail trend:
- Schedule an appointment with your nail technician for a manicure. Even if you regularly do your own nails, having a professional manicure is a must before wearing rich hues. Deep colors and nail adornments will attract attention to your nails, so it is vital to keep your hands looking their best.
- Keep your hands moisturized with a natural hand salve such as J.R. Watkins. Be sure to apply hand salve after washing your hands and before you go to bed. Salves are a great choice because it does double duty as a hand cream and cuticle balm in one product.
- Be sure to choose your hand soap wisely. Again, J.R. Watkins is a safe and affordable option. Avoid sulfates and other harsh detergents that will strip moisture from the skin and make your hands and cuticles dry.
- Use a base coat on your nails to help prevent staining from the dark nail polish shades.
- Apply a top coat to help protect your manicure from chipping.
Traditional nail polish alternatives
- The gel polish trend is no longer just a trend. Why? Gel polish lasts much longer than basic nail polish. When cured under the LED lights, your nail polish dries and hardens instantly. In many cases, manicures last two to three weeks without chipping.
- Nail polish decals, wraps, and stickers are also very popular. Jamberry Nails is known for their long-wearing nail wraps, while Sally Hansen, Essie, and Incoco all offer long-wearing nail polish strips. These are an ideal choice for those who want to have more elaborate designs without visiting a salon.
Looking for inspiration?
If you need some ideas for your nails, Pinterest is just the place. Most salons have their own Pinterest pages with a virtual portfolio of their nail work. Many also post or “pin” pictures of looks they gain inspiration from as well. Just do a search for nail polish or nail trends in the search engine and you will find many ideas. Rochester’s Spa at Corn Hill, for example, has boards devoted to gel nails and nail art inspiration.
With a little bit of prep work, your hands will be ready in no time to show off your sparkly, rich hued nails. Which nail trend are you most looking forward to for fall?