Even a dedicated jazz fan can have trouble keeping up with everything cooking in the Bay Area. Fortunately, the Fillmore Jazz Festival makes it easy by rounding up some of the best regional performers and giving them multiple stages to do their respective things.
This year’s edition runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday on Fillmore Street between Jackson and Eddy. Highlights include lavishly talented singer Kim Nalley serving as artist in residence; multi-kulti pioneer Peter Apfelbaum performing with the latest edition of his Hieroglyphics Ensemble and the more club-jazzy Sparkler; John Santos throwing a Latin jazz fiesta with his sextet; and the African Showboyz raising a percussive storm.
Also worth noting on the Bay Area jazz calendar this week:
- Ace Bay Are drummer Rob Hart and his trio celebrate the release of a hard-driving new CD, “3,000 Realms of 10 Worlds,” 8 p.m. Monday at Yoshi’s Oakland. $15
- Madeline Eastman, one of the Bay Area’s most accomplished (and fun) vocalists, works out with a new quartet that includes high-energy drummer Allison Miller, 8 p.m. Monday at Piedmont Piano Company in Oakland. $20
- Boundary-busting violinist Mads Tolling, pianist Dan Zemelman and bassist Ratzo Harris team up as Trio Maravilloso, playing 8 p.m. Tuesday at Piedmont Piano Company in Oakland. $20
- Trombonist Wayne Wallace, one of the Bay Area’s leading Latin jazz champions, celebrates the release of a new CD, “Latin Jazz — Jazz Latin,” with an 8 p.m. Tuesday show at Yoshi’s Oakland. $18
- Ron Carter, one of the standout bassists in all of jazz and the epitome of cool control on stage, plucks away with his latest trio, featuring guitarist Russell Malone, 8 and 10 p.m. Wednesday and 8 p.m. Thursday at Yoshi’s Oakland. $24-$27
- Sizzling vocalist Kim Nalley and sax great Houston Person add some heat to favorite ballads and blues in Stanford Jazz Festival show, 8 p.m. Friday at Campbell Recital Hall. $15-$45
- New York up-and-comers XD 7 combine jazz and jam band sensibilities, 8 p.m. Friday at Berkeley’s Jazzschool. $10
- High-wattage vocalist Miss Faye Carol steams it up with some of the Bay Area’s top instrumentalists, 8 p.m. Friday at Piedmont Piano Company in Oakland. $20
- Fusion guitar icon and session man supreme Larry Carlton plays with his quartet, 8 and 10 p.m. Friday at Yoshi’s San Francisco ($25-$32) and 7:30 and 9:30 p.m. Saturday at Yoshi’s Oakland ($27-$34)
- Sparkling vocalist Lisa Lindsley has fun with the standards, 8 p.m. Saturday at Berkeley’s Jazzschool. $15
- Agile and expressive guitarist Richard Greig pays tribute to the incomparable Joe Pass, 4:30 p.m. Sunday at Berkeley’s Jazzschool. $15
Send tips, comments and good vibes to the author. And check out Liner Notes, his new music/memoir thing.