Thank goodness July is National Hot Dog Month.
We Americans are some hot-dog-lovin’ folk.
On average, between Memorial Day and Labor Day, we consume seven billion hot dogs.
That’s 818 dogs eaten every second of every day for over three months.
Laid end-to-end, they’ll stretch from Washington, DC, to Los Angeles, Calif., over five times.
Dear Readers, that’s like 15,000 miles.
So you think you know your hot dogs …
The history of hot dogs goes back at least 525 years to the city of Frankfurt, Germany, where Germans claim they invented the frankfurter in 1487.
This is disputed, however, by the people of Vienna (Wien) Austria, who claim that the fact they invented the word wiener proves that Austria is the actual birthplace of the hot dog.
Clearly there’s more to hot dogs that Hebrew National and Oscar Mayer.
And because of the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, hot dogs even have their own YouTube channel now.
In fact, until you’ve immersed yourself in Hot Dog Trivia and the News of the Wien, you can’t claim to know one damn about hot dogs.
At least not yet.
Best hot dogs in GreaterJax™
We are much blessed in the northeast Florida to have some very fine hot dog stands.
Hands down the best is Hot Diggity Dogs in Bunnell. It’s more than worth trip to send your taste buds to hot dog heaven.
Other GreaterJax™ hot dog standouts
- All American Hot Dogs – 10365 Beach Blvd., Jacksonville, Fla. 32246, 904-641-5794
- Hot Diggity Dawgs & More – 904-477-3414, email@example.com – North Florida’s Premiere Hot Dog Cart, catering to Duval, Clay, St. Johns, and Nassau counties.
- Hot Dog Hut – 1439 3rd St., Jacksonville Beach, Fla., 904-247-8886 – Voted “Best Hot Dogs In Jacksonville” by “Folio Weekly” for five years in a row, 2007-2011.
- Orange Tree Hot Dogs, Inc. – 8380 Baymeadows Rd., Suite 4, Jacksonville, Fla. 32256, 904-733-0588, firstname.lastname@example.org – Home of the Best Hot Dogs in Town since 1968.
Now hit the Florida Hot Dog Trail
Why not organize your summer vacation around hot dogs?
Here’s a list of cool Florida hot dog stands that will get you from Panama City all the way to Key West.
- Roy’s Chili Dogs – 499 Beckrich Rd. (in the Shoppes at Edgewater), Panama City Beach, Fla., 850-249-2281
- Hot Diggity Dogs – 101 S. State St. (A1A), Bunnell, Fla. 32110, 386-437-0990, email@example.com
- Deputy Dogs – 1322 N. 14th St., Leesburg, Fla. 34748, 352-315-0995
- Mel’s Hot Dogs – 4136 E. Busch Blvd., Tampa, Fla. 33617, 813-985-8000
- Hot Dog Heaven – 5355 E. Colonial Dr., Orlando, Fla. 32807-1816, 407-282-5746
- Dogs R Us – 7025 N. Cocoa Blvd., Port St John, Fla. 32927-5092, 321-638-0619
- Mustard’s Last Stand – 1288 N. Harbor City Blvd., Melbourne, Fla. 32935-7076, 321-254-5776
- Frank ‘n Stein Etc – 395 N.W. Dixie Hwy., Stuart, Fla. 34994-1015, 772-692-9594
- Das Dog – 1203 Town Center Dr., Suite 106, Jupiter, FL 33458, 561-776-8669
- Dune Dog Express – 9920 Hwy-A1A Alt., Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. 33410, 561-622-8770
- Dogma Grill – 900 S. Federal Hwy., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. 33316-1223, 954-525-1319
- Franktitude – 21 N.W. Miami Ct., Miami, Fla. 33128, 305-381-7118
- B O’s Fish Wagon – 801 Caroline St., Key West, Fla 33040-6642, 305-294-9272
About the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council
A project of the American Meat Institute, the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council(NHDSC) is funded by contributions from hot dog and sausage manufacturers and their suppliers of equipment, ingredients and services. Established in 1994, the Council also serves as an information resource to consumers and media on questions related to quality, safety, nutrition and preparation of hot dogs and sausages. In addition, the Council conducts scientific research to benefit hot dog and sausage manufacturers.
National Hot Dog and Sausage Council
- 1150 Connecticut Ave. NW, 12th Floor
- Washington, DC 20036
- Contact: Janet Riley, Pres. NHDSC & “Queen of Wien”
- Phone: 202-587-4200
- FAX: 202-587-4300
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
©2013 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: email@example.com