Customers of Ford’s plug-in hybrid cars, the Ford C-Max Energi and Ford Fusion Energi, are making the most of the vehicles’ 21 miles of gas-free all-electric range, and are driving in electric mode nearly 60 percent of the time. On Monday, Ford showed data aggregated from Ford’s MyFord Mobile app showed that show nearly 60 percent of total PHEV miles driven every day are in electric mode.
Ford’s plug-in hybrid (PHEV) cars have a 21 mile electric-only range, and a gasoline engine to power the car once the battery is exhausted. The cars can be plugged in to recharge, either at home or at a public charging station.
Dept. of Transportation figures show that typical Americans drive 40 miles or less a day. Hence, it is a reasonable result that with a 21 mile electric range, that about half of driving would be electric.
Ford says the PHEV owners improve their percentage of electric driving after 30 days of ownership. This gives time for the car owner to acclimate to what’s required to drive more electric-only miles. “The daily percent driven in electric mode continues to inch upward, suggesting drivers are using the information provided by MyFord Mobile to change how they drive and really get the most out of their vehicles,” says Joe Rork, MyFord Mobile product manager.
MyFord Mobile is the infotainment system built into Ford’s cars. It allows drivers to link with their car over the cell phone data system. The remote data communication with the cars enables drivers to maximize the usefulness and minimize costs.
Another thing MyFord Mobile can do is enable Ford to collect data on the usage pattern of each car. Given the recent revelations about government spying cooperating with private companies to collect data, this immediately raises a concern whether Ford is passing data along to the Government or otherwise collecting identity information along with car usage data. What Ford’s press release says is “Ford doesn’t collect information on individual drivers, but aggregates group data so that it can continue to deliver the best possible ownership experience.”
Specific claims being made by Ford from this data is:-
- The “electric drive time” has improved since the beginning of the year, rising from 41 percent of driving was on electric to 60 percent now.
- Ford’s share of the electrified vehicle market is 16%
- Total miles driven for Ford’s electrified vehicles has risen from 100,000 miles a day to 160,000 miles a day
- Likewise daily trips in Ford’s electrified vehicles are now 5-7000 a day
- The vast majority, 84%, are trips 20 miles or less
MyFord Mobile also includes a charging station finder powered by data from PlugShare. Data collected (and aggregated) from that source shows:
- Charging times are found about 6 million times a month through MyFord Mobile
- Average charge time is 185 minutes
- Most charging station searches are done between noon and 2pm
- The top regions for charging station searches are San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle and the Northeast corridor