Fourth of July 2013 Bay Area Events-Picnics, Parades & Fireworks Shows
By Michelle Carr Crowe, Silicon Valley guide
It’s estimated that 30 percent of Silicon Valley residents leave town over the 2013 Fourth of July holiday. For the other 70 percent of folks celebrating Independence Day locally, here is a quick list of cities and towns in Santa Clara County with their featured activities and events, from parades to picnics, pancake breakfasts to popular fireworks shows.
Whether you live in San Jose, Gilroy or Palo Alto, there is free family fun (and even some free fireworks shows) available to you. As weather conditions can affect some of these events, be sure to verify plans (high temperatures and wind conditions can cause the fire marshal to cancel fireworks).
There is only one place to legally buy fireworks in Santa Clara County, which is in Gilroy. “Safe and sane” fireworks sales support many nonprofit and sports groups in Gilroy. However, fireworks purchasers should plan to celebrate with those fireworks within the Gilroy boundaries or risk fines in all of the other towns and cities.
Campbell No fireworks
5:00 pm-8:00 pm Celebrate America Festival, including live musical groups, Children’s and Adults Crafts and Activities at The Home Church, 1799 S. Winchester, Campbell. Free
Optional Barbeque plate including chips and drink, $5 per person
7:00 am-11:00 am Pancake Breakfast at Memorial Park Per plate $6 Adults/ $3 Children
Children’s parade at 10 am followed by live music by Cocktail Monkeys in Memorial Park until noon. Free
Swimming at Blackberry Farm 10 am-4 pm. Free
Barbeque at Blackberry Farm 12 noon-2pm. $5 per person
Fireworks at 9:30 pm from Cupertino High School Free
Important Note: There is no viewing site at, nor pedestrian or vehicle access to Cupertino High for several hours before and after the show. All viewers are advised to plan ahead and walk or drive to one of the three viewing sites early.
The City has three viewing sites: Sedgwick Elementary School, Hyde Middle School and Creekside Park. All three sites are very close to Cupertino High School. Each site features free live musical entertainment as well as food and refreshment vendors (prices vary).
Cupertino Fireworks Viewing Sites:
Sedgwick Elementary School (Tantau & Phil)
Hyde Middle School (Bollinger & Miller)
Creekside Park (Miller at Creekside)
Fireworks at 9:30 pm at Gilroy High School sports field. Free
Los Gatos No fireworks
Community celebration with music in the Los Gatos Civic Center from 11 am to 4:30 pm. Free admission, $ Food
Afternoon pool party at the Milpitas Sports Center with music, food & games, plus evening concert. (Space limited)
Fireworks at 9:15 pm on the Sports Center’s football field; gate opens at 6pm, $2 ticket.
Morgan Hill Fireworks
Award-winning community parade downtown at 10 am (in 2012 it drew 75,000 people). Free
Fireworks at dark at Morgan Hill Community Park. Free
Mountain View Fireworks
San Francisco Symphony performs at Shoreline Amphitheater at 8 pm; Free Fireworks with paid concert admission
Fireworks at dark at Shoreline
Palo Alto Fireworks
Summer festival and chili cook-off at Mitchell Park from 12 noon to 5 pm Free admission, $ for Food, No fireworks.
Fireworks between 9 and 9:30 pm at the EcoCenter Baylands. Free
San Jose Fireworks
Rose, White & Blue Parade at 10 am. Free
Live entertainment and food from 11 am to 3 pm at The Alameda. Free admission, $ for Food, No fireworks.
NOTE: No San Jose America Festival nor fireworks this year.
San Jose Giants Games Fireworks
July 4 and July 5 San Jose Giants Games at San Jose Municipal Stadium. Free Fireworks show with paid admission
Fireworks after the San Jose Giants games both nights
Santa Clara Fireworks
Community Pancake Breakfast at Central Park from
Live music and food at Central Park starting at 5 pm
Fireworks at Central Park at 9:30 pm Free
Great America Fireworks
Friday, July 5 and Saturday July 6. Great America Amusement Park
Fireworks at 9:30 pm both nights at Great America. Free Fireworks show with paid admission
Saratoga No fireworks.
Parade and live music at Kevin Moran Park. Free
Be sure to enjoy a safe and sane Fourth of July in 2013.