Have you heard the “scoop?” A very special food holiday is right around the corner! Get ready to scream, America! It’s National Ice Cream Day in the U.S.A.! This annual holiday, observed on the third Sunday in July, is the perfect cool and creamy sweet treat to eat during the dog days of summer. This year’s National Ice Cream Day event takes place on July 21, 2013.
National Ice Cream Day
United States President Ronald Reagan, a reported ice cream lover, designated the annual event as part of National Ice Cream Month back in 1984 and folks have been enjoying the holiday ever since!
Whether you prefer to eat yours with a spoon, in a float, in a cone, or alamode, Americans love ice cream. While today’s ice cream comes in all sorts of delicious flavors, the most popular flavors in America are vanilla, chocolate, butter pecan and mint chocolate chip, according to the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA.)
Some businesses across the nation will be servin’ up special deals, discounts and free treats to eat in honor of National Ice Cream Day. While a lick or a dip of delicious ice cream always hits the right spot, free ice cream is even better!
National Ice Cream Day Freebies & Nearly Free Ice Cream Across America
- The 3rd Annual DC Scoop – Union Market will once again be hosting the annual, family-friendly DC Scoop event on July 21, 2013, from 1 – 4:00 p.m. Besides all sorts of activities, cooking demonstrations, Kids Ice Cream Eating Contest, face painting and music, be sure to stop on by and help yourself to some free samples and frozen desserts.
- Free Ben & Jerry’s in NYC – The Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Truck will be roaming the streets of New York from July 2 – August 8, 2013, handing out their latest and greatest #OMGFreeBenJerrys Greek flavors: Liz Lemon, Raspberry Fudge Chunk or Banana Peanut Butter. Check out the trucks location online.
- Free Herrell’s Ice Cream – Kids 12 and under who bring in a signed 8 1/2″ x 11″ drawing of their favorite ice cream treat, will get a free ice cream cone or dish on National Ice Cream Day! One freebie per person and you must be present.
- Baskin Robbins “Free” Waffle Cone – Participating Baskin Robbins locations will be giving away “free” freshly baked Waffle Cones when you purchase a Double Scoop. Dipped and fancy waffle cones to do not apply. This offer is valid from July 1 – August 31, 2013.
- Carvel Ice Cream Deal – Stop by a participating Carvel Ice Cream location and get a junior Soft-Serve Cone for just 99 cents on July 21, 2013. Just “like” them on Facebook to receive your printable coupon. One coupon per purchase and not valid on online orders.
- Sprinkles Cupcakes Surprise – If you happen to bite into a delicious Sprinkles cupcake that has a golden ticket tucked inside, you’ll receive a Sprinkles ice cream shipment delivered to your door!
- Marble Slab Creamery Deals – Besides getting the chance to win free ice cream for an entire year, Marble Slab Creamery locations will be servin’ up Happy Hour on Monday – Friday from 12 – 2:00 p.m. Buy one Small or Medium Favorite Combination and you’ll get one for just 30 cents!
- Burger King Deal – Stop by a participating Burger King and pick up an ice cream cone or cup for 50 cents! This cool deal runs until August 5, 2013.
- BGR The Burger Joint Deal – Just “like” BGR on Facebook and you’ll get a coupon for 50 percent off on all milkshakes on July 21, 2013.
- Billings Farm & Museum Specials – Once again, the Billings Farm & Museum will be celebrating National Ice Cream Day in a great big way. Not only will visitors get to crank out ice cream the old-fashioned way, but will also be invited to play 19th century games and go for a horse-drawn wagon ride. Check the website for all the details.
- And speaking of free, be sure to share your ice cream photos with the International Dairy Foods Association for a chance to win free ice cream.
Please note – some locations may not be participating in this year’s event. Please call ahead or check the website for details.
Happy National Ice Cream Day! And speaking of ice cream, National Vanilla Ice Cream Day is almost here!