– Disco the parakeet on the “Today Show”:Fast-talking parakeet shows off his vocal skills – Video on TODAY.com For more of his body of work: Disco Sings the Stones – and Prospers – YouTube Thanks to Feathered Sanctuary. —- “Bird to your mother!” — Funny and amazing babbling, beatboxing from Heidi Bettencourt.
– Trivia time: A stuffed African grey parrot from the 17th century can be seen in Westminster Abbey, England; along with a wax replica of the bird’s owner, the Duchess of Richmond and Lennox — A parakeet gave a daily shout out of “Hail Caesar!” to Roman emperor Caesar Augustus. These and many other fun facts can be found in “Snowball the Dancing Cockatoo”, by “Boston Globe” contributor Sy Montgomery.
– What to do if your Flighted Parrot Escapes | Your bird has flown off – Good Bird Inc. And as the weather warms it’s more likely to happen! By Barbara Heidenreich via Dawn Korpsalski.
– Pscittacine cinema: RED-FRONTED MACAW. SPOT 2013. – YouTube — Courtesy Karen Wingrove‘s “Winged Things” newsletter. — Swinging Lovebirds – YouTube , Lineolated Parakeets: Henry takes care for his blind … – YouTube and Bird lovers must watch! Green Cheek and Quaker Parrot … – YouTube From The Parrot Club Bulletin.– Elke Hanna‘s golden conure, in Dec 18, 2012 7:47am — A cool cockatoo 嗑藥的鸚鵡 is from Diane Dwyer. — Partyin’ parrot pal of Lanette Raymond. May 16, 2013 1:14pm
– Size matters: The hyacinth macaw is NOT the world’s largest parrot – as a birdchannel item picked up by this column stated last week. The heavyweight champ, says Marc Johnson of Foster Parrots Rockland MA/Hope Valley RI; is New Zealand’s kakapo. “They weigh in at over 6 lbs. Some kakapo individuals weigh in at over 8 lbs! The hyacinth only weighs 2.5 to 3 lbs.” However, including its lengthy tail; the hyacinth is the world’s longest parrot!
– Snowball news: A video featuring excerpts of Snowball is expected to play for a minimum of two years at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, IL. — The “Boston Globe”‘s Sy Montgomery and Judith Oksner; respectively the author and the illustrator of “Snowball the Dancing Cockatoo” will be at Gibson’s Bookstore, 27 S. Main Street in Concord, NH. on Saturday, 5/18 from 11am until 12:30pm. http://www.gibsonsbookstore.com/event/snowball-the-dancing-cockatoo
– Temperatures rising: North Carolina avian veterinarian Gregory Burkett, DVM says. “In my experience, most pet birds’ comfort range is between 65 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. They can withstand a much broader range, however, of 40 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit.” From Kathy Heaton
– Midwest Bird Expo 2013: A Success Story | Parrot Nation A inside look at one of the larger national bird shows by Patricia Sund.
– Alex news: Alex Foundation fans! There’s a little over a month left for the Sterner matching challenge. Remember that if we don’t reach our $10,000 goal by July 4th, Mr. Sterner won’t match donations. Donations go to helping the nonprofit work done through the Alex Foundation and the Pepperberg Lab.
– Cats vs. dogs vs. birds: Dr. Laurie Hess reiterates why those cute pictures of birds posing with cats or dogs isn’t a great idea.”A bird owner/client accidentally didn’t completely close the door to her African gray’s cage, and her dog grabbed the bird and killed her. I have seen many tragic accidents in my career – birds flying out windows/doors, into mirrors and ceiling fans, and into hot water. This horrible accident reminded me to remind all of you to be so careful with your birds, especially if you have other pets in the house or if your bird flies freely at home. You really can’t fault the dog here; like cats, dogs are natural predators whose instinct is to use their mouths to pick things up.”
– A Spring Hafla: An Evening of BellyDance to Benefit the PARROTS! Sat. 5/18 at 7:30pm The Yoga Loft in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Proceeds benefit The World Parrot Trust, The Indonesian Parrot Project, and The Feathered Sanctuary Parrot Rescue. Enjoy performances by Abzahrah, Amala Gameela’s Dancers of the Caravan, Mirjana, Sand Shimmers, Star City Tribal, Tasha, The Fantasha Dancers, Hannah Nour, and more.
Indulge in delicious Middle Eastern refreshments and shop for everything that sparkles, provided by Sand Shimmers. Tickets are sold at the door for $12/ person (additional donations gladly accepted) Doors open at 7:00pm…COME EARLY TO MEET THE PARROTS!
– Looking for a pet parrot that “doesn’t bite, doesn’t scream, doesn’t throw food and the best…….doesn’t chew wood”? Fugeddaboudit. As Feathered Sanctuary points out, “These are wild animals that did not ask to be in our homes, yet we expect them to conform to all our needs. We need to stop and think and appreciate them for what they are, not what we want them to be.”
– Bird people in the news: Isabella, a young lady with pediatric neurogenerative disesase, has a dream of raising small companion birds for other children with special needs. Visit IsabellasAviary.com–What bird care, natural history, or conservation articles would you like to see next on Frank Indiviglio‘s ThatBirdBlog? http://bit.ly/124o6sBA few weeks left until Lara Joseph‘s June Behavior & Training Workshop! http://larajoseph.com/ LaraJoseph/ABC_Workshop.html– From Barbara Heidenreich‘s appearance on Remix on KOOP 91.7. How to help a 20 year old African grey overcome its fear of hands. http://www.lonestarman.net/remix/GreenRoom/BH_KimQuestion.MP3 and help for a Moluccan cockatoo that is constantly screaming. http://www.lonestarman.net/remix/GreenRoom/BH_RachelQuestion.MP3 Speaking of Barbara, she and Sabrina Brando (animalconcepts.eu) presenting a seminar for parrot and small exotic pet enthusiasts 11/9-10 ’13 the Netherlands. http://www.goodbirdinc.com/calendar.html
– “Bubba and the Sweet Pea”e-Book edition by Gladys Boutros, about the author’s pet cockatoo who suffered from beak and feather disease, awarded the bronze in eLit Awards Illuminating Digital Publishing Excellence Are A Global Awards Program Category Of Children’s Books – For All Ageselitawards.com/2012_results.phphe
– What’s on telly, then?: Parrots, People & Pets. “Network Premiere” — “Mary Angel‘s Live New Age Chat” airs live Tuesdays at 5 pm.“Strictly for the Birds” is taped and airs Weds at 6:30 pm/. Both shows can be watched on net Soundviewtv.org click on watch live scroll down and click again to where it advises you to do so call ins are at 203 345 0103 now instead of 0100.Weds show is taped on Tuesdays following my live show those call ins start on Tuesday at 5:45 pm. Ad for the show: IMG_0424
– Readin’ material: For a copy of Sally Blanchard’s “Companion Parrot” newsletter Issue #14 send your e-mail address to email@example.com or message Sally. — The May issue of Karen Wingrove‘s “Winged Things” is out. To find any issue of “Winged Things”, go to avalonaviary.com/wingedthings/yrmonwingedthings.pdf
– Clubbin’: Parrot Safari Club of New England meeting Sat. 5/18 1:30-4 Best Western Executive Court 13500 South Willow St. Manchester NH featuring seminar on companion bird behavioral issues, wing/nail clipping, bird adoptions, toy rehabilitation clinic, and toy and supply sale. http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Bird-BEHAVIOR-Seminar-from-Parrot-Saf… — Flapping Feathers meets this Wed. 5/22 at 7:30 at the Land and Sea Diner & Restaurant; 20-12 Fair Lawn Ave.; Fair Lawn – Great door prizes!– Reminder, Connecticut Parrot Club goes on hiatus in July and August so members may want to make a point of attending the June 6 meeting featuring “Keeping and Caring for Multiple Birds” by Bob and Barb Cosgrove.
–Showtime: MAY 18: Baltimore Bird Fanciers 23rd Annual Bird Mart– Tall Cedars of Lebanon Hall, 2501 Putty Hill Ave., Parkville, MD – 9-4 – 410-256-9326 – firstname.lastname@example.org — Charlotte Pet Expo – Chantilly Shopping Center , 800 Briar Creek Road , Charlotte, NC – 10-6 – 800-977-3609 x110 – email@example.com — MAY 19: –Arizona Aviculture Society Spring ’13 Bird Mart 9-3 El Zaribah Shrine Auditorium – 552 N. 40th Street (just south of the 202 Freeway on 40th Street), Phoenix, Arizona. FREE Parking Proceeds benefit aviculture-related educational programs presented by AAS.–Erie Cage Bird Club 27th Annual Bird Fair– Perry Highway Hose Co. Social Hall, 8281 Oliver Road, Erie, PA – 10-4- 814-734-1538 – firstname.lastname@example.org MAY 25: Raleigh-Durham Caged Bird Society 25th Annual Pet Bird Fair and Shows– The Kerr Scott Building, NC State Fairgrounds, Raleigh, NC 27607 – 9 am – 5 pm – 919-219-8444 – CarolinaFlight@aol.com MAY 25-26: New England Cockatiel Breeders & Exhibitors Quad Parrot Shows– Greenwood Volunteer Fire Dept. & Museum, 45 Kernick St., Warwick, RI 02886 – 8 am – 5 pm – 401-732-0693 – email@example.com
– Raffle to benefit Iowa Parrot Rescue Parrot Troopers. first prize: the African Willow Tree Floor Stand & Hanging Gym in one intended for medium to large parrots. $140 Value! Open to US and Canada Residents ONLY! Shipping to Canada will be paid from the proceeds of the raffle. Tickets are $2 each or 3 for $5 through PayPal; by sending money to firstname.lastname@example.org or by using our youcaring link. http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/win-this-stand-gym-help-the-birds-of-iowa-parrot-rescue-/57629 Drawing is 9pm EST on 5/31. — Help us Re-PARROT the life of a companion bird! youcaring.com Every year thousands of parrots and exotic birds are taken away from their “flock” – their human families.
– If you have had a parrot die, Sally Blanchard would asks that you fill the survey out. https://companionparrotonline.com/Survey_Parrot_Death.html for the next in-depth issue of the Companion Parrot Online Magazine #81.
-What do you do when your bird is sick? Dr. Bob Doneley covers this important topic in this edition of “Australian BirdKeeper” magazine.http://birdkeeper.com.au/latest-issue/buy-now– “Birds of Australia” is a new book – take a look http://birdkeeper.com.au/whats-new/birds-of-australia — Work out for the endangered orange-bellied parrot? http://birdkeeper.com.au/_blog/Beak_Speak/post/orange-bellied-parrots-to-get-gym/ — Thinking of getting a macaw as a pet? Behavioral expert Jim McKendry addresses this choice in this edition of “Australian BirdKeeper” magazine – “Pet Parrot Pointers – What’s Up With… Macaws as Pets?” http://birdkeeper.com.au/latest-issue/buy-now — Who keeps Gouldian finches? http://birdkeeper.com.au/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=811015&A=SearchResult&SearchID=5497786&ObjectID=811015&ObjectType=27
– Lost: Gold capped conure. Flew away near the Dacula High School, in Dacula, Georgia on 5/15. Please email email@example.com if bird is seen or found – she is very shy and will likely not make contact.
– Birds of Paridise “Just winging It” full cartoon – YouTube From Diane Dwyer