– It’s a bird… It’s a bike… It’s a bird on a bike with a guy! A parrot, possibly a green amazon or conure; sits on the shoulder of a black gentleman who rides his bike around Quincy, MA, according to assorted reliable sources. If you’re out there- or know how to contact this man- we’d love to interview; please email the boston birds & fish examiner at firstname.lastname@example.org
– More cockatoo smarties: http://cityparrots.org/journal/2013/7/28/cockatoos-understand-full-objec…
– Drug addict birds rescued by crazy bird lady: http://globalnews.ca/news/741208/crazy-bird-lady-offers-drug-addicted-ab…
– Brazilian birds threatened by deforestation and overharvesting and worse; last June, the Brazilian government, through the Ministry of the Environment, passed a regulation that allows any citizen who has illegally purchased a wild animal (wildlife trafficking), to remain in possession of the creature. http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/BRAZIL_GOVERNMENT_FOSTERS_THE_TRAFFICKI…
– Wild baby parrots sought in India for the pet trade- and food. http://news.yahoo.com/photos/hunting-for-baby-parrots-in-india-137487103…
– Pope eats parrot as part of daily Brazil itinerary. We take this “report” from “The Onion” with a grain of salt.
– Psittacine cinema: African grey spots President Obama on TV and starts yelling at the TV => http://goo.gl/VsmPBb –No picnic basket stealing for this bird loving Yogi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PFL1jLfSYA&sns=em — Two shorts from Prasident Bogi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kSKfRo6lxw — Never argue with an umbrella cockatoo http://bit.ly/1e7tuQD — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOg0hCA3BpQ – Kathy Heaton via The Sock Buddy for Feather Plucking Parrots (www.thesockbuddy.com)
Talking Parrotlet Koolaid plays peek-a-boowww.youtube.com
– “Life with Alex” plays at the New Jersey Film Festival on Friday, 9/20 at 7pm at Rutgers University’s Voorhees Hall with an introduction and Q+A session by Dr. Irene Pepperberg and Director Emily Wick. Tickets available at the door, but for advance tickets for groups of 3 or more, call (848) 932-8482. http://www.njfilmfest.com/screening.html
– Midland Parrots says “This must stop” in their blog http://bit.ly/19tjP9r
– Ancient South American shield decorated with macaw feathers. http://www.livescience.com/38599-ancient-shield-discovered-in-peru-templ…
– Aviculturists vs. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Those Snidely Whiplash-types in the “animal rights” crowd are fiendishly scheming to ban pet parrots, or so some in aviculture say; citing the following as evidence. http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2013/06/27/peta-sues-usda-for…
– Wild parrot photos by Steve Brookes. http://www.parrots.org/index.php/blog_brookes/comments/tree_in_multiple_…
– Linda Rubin discuss the origins of cockatoos and how cockatiels are proven to be related as the “littlest cockatoo,” in “How Cockatoos Evolved” in a number of magazines, including the “AFA Watchbird” (Volume XXXVIII, No. 1&2), and the current issue of the April/May/June 2013 “Journal of the American Cockatiel Society, Inc.” Linda has also sent out the latest issue of the AFA Specialties & Affiliates Newsletter, Volume 4.2, which contains the 2013 Specialty Groups Meeting Schedule and the convention activities at the upcoming AFA national convention in Raleigh. A new addition this year is the Specialty Meeting OPEN FORUM, to
finish the evening – come network, meet new contacts – bring your displays, brochures, business cards, and promote your projects and other opportunities.
– AFA goes Hollywood: “The “green screen” isn’t just for movie stars any more,” says northeast American Federation for Aviculture northeast chair Concetta Ferragamo. This year’s AFA convention will feature a movie type backdrop (the subject will be kept secret until the convention) for attendees and their birds to pose as “stars” in. – And, if you can’t get to the convention you can still “Make your bird a star” by entering acontest that is being featured at the convention. You can enter the “Super Model” contest with a photo or the talent contest with a video. The entry deadline date is Monday night at midnight (8/5/13).
– Lara Joseph‘s Animal Behavior Center reviewed: http://www.bubblews.com/news/565616-the-animal-behavior-center-toledo-ohio
– Birds among 20 animals taken from hoarding situation. http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=784082#.UfWwF22WORM
– Blog cabin: Avian origami? Patricia Sund explains: http://parrotnation.com/2013/06/20/avian-origami/ — Bonding with Dusty the cockatiel by Monika Dimick Weise. http://www.bubblews.com/news/870999-bonding-with-dusty
– Mary Angel‘s “Strictly for the Birds” airs @ 6:30 on Wednesdays. The show is taped Tuesdays and call ins are welcome between 6:15-6:45 on Tuesdays. CT readers can watch on Bridgeport public access Chanel 77. Those in Bpt Stfd Ffld Mlfd Orange or Woodbridge can watch on TV w/o U verse Address again is soundviewtv.org Once on site click flashing red lite and then go to bottom of page to retry and connect
– Clubbin’: Northeast Bird Groups hold a picnic at 1:00 PM on 8/4 –The annual Parrot Club picnic with the parrots in Wickham Park, CT is 8/10.– Woodie’s Wings Parrot Club meets across the pond at the Pride Veterinary Center, Riverside Rd., Derby, England on Tues. 8/6.– Long Island Parrot Society monthly meeting on 8/21 focuses on Pet Safe Coalition, emergency preparedness refresher.
– Showtime: 8/3 – 7: 34th annual Association of Avian Veterinarians Conference and Expo
– Hyatt Regency, Jacksonville Riverfront, 225 East Coastline Dr., Jacksonville, FL – 303-756-8380 – email@example.com — 8/7-10: American Federation of Aviculture’s 39th Annual Convention – Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown, 3415 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC – 281-217-0614 – firstname.lastname@example.org — 8/10-11: Parrot Behavior and Training Workshops with Barbara Heidenreich – Parrot University, 321 S. Polk St., Pineville, NC – Sat 9 – 5, Sun 9 am – 12 pm or 2 pm – 5 pm – 704-889-2325 – email@example.com — Viktor Kosek will be speaking at this year’s AVES convention 8/22-25 South Grafton, Australia on breeding Cacatua cockatoos with alternate diets. Conures will be the subject of Claus Carni Nielsen from Denmark, who is speaking at AVES this August.
– Rescue me: Parrot rescue video http://globalnews.ca/video/742570/parrot-rescue-saves-abused-birds/ — Donations needed for health care for two pionus parrots needing immediate vet care. They are suffering from a respiratory infection, malnutrition,severely over grown beak( on one) that has been trimmed along with fatty liver disease. They will remain hospitalized at Animal clinic of Benson until their infection clears up. Contact Animal Clinic of Benson to contribute your tax exempt donation. http://animalclinicbenson.com/ — Pick a card: avian themed e-cards to support avian charities involved in rescue, conservation, research and sanctuary missions. See more at: http://www.hopeforfeathers.com/#sthash.42J8Req2.dpuf
–Lost: Boo, two year old female parrotlet in Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan. Please contact
Feathered Friends of Michigan.– Lost: Congo African grey on 7/30 in the Longfellow Drive area of Huntington Station, NY. REWARD OFFERED Please contact Rina at 917 328 6805 or the Long Island Parrot Society at 631 957 1100 with any information. — Lost: Senegal 5/15 New Milford, New Jersey, NJ. Details: www.parrotalert.com/L10198– Stolen: several parrots from Baby Blue Aviaries, Winters. CA on 7/15. $5,000 reward offered. (530) 574-2594.–Recovered: Parrot snatched by armed robber in the Bronx found by police. http://bit.ly/1b1DIT7
– Readin’ material: World Parrot Trust‘s just released online “Flock Talk” includes:
> Species Profile: Grey Parrot > Plan Your Escape: Protect Your Parrot in Times of Emergency
> Book Review: Parrots of Africa, Madagascar and the Mascarene Islands and more.
–Last word: Don’t tell THIS budgie that disco is dead… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxgEAxzLAgs
– News tips: Viki Bullock, Diane Dwyer, Lanette Raymond, American Federation for Aviculture group mail, Mary Angel, Dawn Korpalski, WindyCity Parrot, Mike Muehe, Arlene Levine, Diane Cardullo, Marsha Miller, Robyn Richter, Concetta Ferragamo.