– PHOTO CAP: Brent Rodriguez trims the nails of a budgie client with nary a squawk.
– UPDATE: 10News – Exotic bird snatched in front of Oceanside bar found … From Feathered Sanctuary. EDITOR’S NOTE: Fresh air, sunshine and a change of scenery are great for pet parrots, but please exercise common sense where you bring them. Parks and lake shores, sure; bars – not so much.
– Avian Disaster Operations Rescue Network / Assistance Page OKC tornado warnings are over but severe thunderstorms continue.
– Pepper the African grey cruises in a convertible in BirdBuggy – YouTube Thank you, Kerry Spencer.
– A parrot killed by its cat “friend” in a graphic Facebook photo generated this warning from Diane Dwyer: “You might be SURE your dog would NEVER snap at your bird. Or your cat really DOES understand the bird isn’t food. Always exercise caution and vigilance. Don’t assume because something hasn’t happened, nothing ever WILL happen. Beyond the normal worries, saliva on cats and dogs can be quite deadly to birds if ingested.” — Keeping Birds With Cats Safely – Squidoo is tricky, but it CAN be done says Monika Dimick Weise.
– Duster, an umbrella cockatoo originally from Australia, entertained visitors at California’s Sea World and alongside mermaids at Florida’s Weeki Wachee. The 88 year old is now retired in St. Petersburg, living with a foster mom and a goofy conure, reports Feathered Sanctuary.
– Psittacine cinema: Sunny doesn’t get why the budgies don’t talk to him. It’s Sunny! Talking Cockatiel – YouTube — We haven’t heard from King O for a while When King O Knocks – YouTube courtesy The Parrot Club Bulletin. — True love From Marc Johnson. –Spaghetti Night The cockatoo fe Thanks to Dennis Bohn.
– Trivia: A parrot sculpture in Alborada, Ecuador is over 39 feet high and is covered with about 70,000 pieces of colorful handmade pottery.The monument is the symbol of Guayaquil (the largest and most populous city in Equador) and its purpose, says builder Juan Sanchez, is “to protect the birds.” Thanks to Sally Blanchard. — John Harvey Kellogg, inventor of corn flakes, owned a cockatoo. From Concetta Ferragamo.
– Help scientists, vets and other academics understand companion parrot behavior. Register for the University of Guelph survey at the group called Bird Talk: https://www.facebook.com/groups/426039457418827/
– Cockatoo Love Story – A Tale of Two Cockiessioux Thanks to Sioux-elyn Is.
– Bird people in the news: Upcoming for Lara Joseph – http://larajoseph.com/LaraJoseph/Schedule.html — Dr. Irene Pepperberg to be star speaker at the Long Island Parrot Bird Expo on Sat. 10/5. First prize of a special raffle is dinner with her. Lisa Bono also speaks at the LIP show on “Growing up Grey”: http://greyparrotconsulting.com/194/ — Irena Schulz will be at Greenville Place Assisted Living and Memory Care’s fundraiser on 6/8 signing “Snowball the Dancing Cockatoo” books…part of the proceeds to benefit Greenville Place. –Boston’s Linda Rubin scheduled to talk on the “New Nomenclature Affecting the Genetics of Cockatiel Color Mutations” at this summer’s American Federation for Aviculture conference in Raleigh, NC. Other scheduled AFA Speakers for 2013 — “Really, how can anyone balance a checkbook with a caique hanging from their bangs?” wonders Taddy Kalas.– Examiner George Sommers at the Pet Expo representing “Pet Gazette” along with publishers John and Lynn Harvey and budgies Yellowbird and Pepita (See Showtime).
– Social media takes flightless parrot to number one … – Birdwatch From Barbara Heidenreich.
– This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco- wait, yes it is: Disco The Parakeet Recites One Phrase That Leads To Another | FB … Thanks to Tina Czerwinski –Disco The Talking Parakeet Talks to Daddy – YouTube From Feathered Sanctuary.
– Parrot joke: A man took his parrot to the vet because it had been sick. The vet said, “I have good news and I have bad news. The bad news is, your bird has chirpees. The good news is, it’s tweetable.” From writing buddy Darla Hanger.
– > Species Profile: Blue Lorikeet One of many compelling articles in the most recent World Parrot Trust “Flock Talk” newsletter.
– Health tips: Do bird’s feet hurt? – Windy City Parrot — Use your noodle (but don’t let your bird). Those “noodles” that are popularly used as swimming floats are treated with chemicals to prevent mildewing. Do NOT use pool noodles or pipe foam on bird toys! Warns Viki Bullock. –Training Max the macaw to accept oral meds from Barbara Heidenreich‘s Step Up! Parrot Care and Training Seminar http://youtu.be/6QCcZuG99bs
– Don’t Surrender Your Pet Over Temporary Financial Issues: There is … thanks to Lyn Lomasi.
– “The bare-eyed cockatoo is generally an intelligent, high-energy cockatoo. Bare-eyes occur in very large flocks and spend a great deal of time on the ground in the wild. Supervised floor/flat surface play on safe, clean, defined area with verbal permission should be encouraged. I believe because of their tendency to spend a lot of time on the ground, Bare-eyed Cockatoos should have a cage at least 30 inches wide, preferably with no grate to encourage floor play, and lots of foot toys. Many Bare-eyes will love to playfully roll on the floor of their cage with or without toys. They play on the ground in the wild and have been filmed playing on their backs banging two sticks together. Stimulation with a wide variety of toys, and play situations is essential. They tend to go from one thing to another in play rather than devoting a lot of time to one ‘project’,” says Sally Blanchard. (To see much more and information on other parrots, please go to:
https://www.companionparrotonline.com/Parrot_Species_Profiles.html Also see https://companionparrotonline.com/Parrot_Articles.html
– Clubbin’: “Keeping and Caring for Multiple Birds” by Bob and Barb Cosgrove at the Connecticut Parrot Society 6/6 meeting. And remember, the club goes on hiatus July and August! — The votes are in; and Sat. 6/29 at 5 at Teri and Tony‘s house in Ramsey will be the setting for Flapping Feathers of New Jersey’s June meeting / party / barbecue. Travel directions will be sent to club members before the event.
– Showtime: 6/1: Maryland Budgerigar Society Regional Show– Days Inn Alexandria, 110 S Bragg St W, Alexandria, VA 10-5- 757-806-5891 – firstname.lastname@example.org —6/2– Pet Expo 11-4 Marshfield (MA) Fairgrounds — 6/1-2– Parrot Training Seminar with Barbara Heidenreich in Brisbane, Australia http://www.parrotsociety.org.au/index.php?mod=Dynamic&id=108 —6/8-9: Tim Vogle’s Southeastern Exotic Bird Fair – Atlanta State Farmers Market, 16 Forest Pkwy, Forest Park, GA – Sat 9-5, Sun 9- 4 – 843-216-1553 – email@example.com 6/9: Exotic Bird Fair Expo– Circleville Volunteer Fire Department, 129 North Robbins Station Road, North Huntingdon, PA – 10- 4 – 419-685-2412 – firstname.lastname@example.org 6/20-22:One World for Parrots: Conservation, Aviculture, Companions symposium in Los Angeles featuring speakers from across the globe including Dr. Irene Pepperberg. Symposium 2013 Speakers and silent auction items including …Eco Trips to Brazil and the Upper Amazon for two, 4 star Puerto Rico Hotel for two, Artwork, Solid Silver Parrot Coins, and much more! Silent Auction Items
– Rescue me: Isabella is a little girl fighting a rare neurodegenerative disease. She is passionate about parrots, and her dream is to hand-raise companion birds for other special needs children. Isabella’s Aviary Alliance, LLC – Isabella’s Aviary, LLC — Feathered Sanctuary is going to have a garage sale on July 6 . Anyone who would like to donate items may drop them off at Feathered Sanctuary, 2911 Willow Street Pike, Willow Street, PA 17584 Wed.-12-6, Thurs. & Fri., 12-7, Sat. & Sun 12-5.
– Jolly good: Birdbooker Report 271 Another favorable review of “Snowball the Danicing cockatoo” in a British publication.
– Buying or building a new aviary and not sure what you need? Although the title suggests it’s for finches, canaries and softbills, the methods can be applied to many parrot species too.http://birdkeeper.com.au/finch-books-and-dvds/suitable-housing-for-finches-and-softbills–20% off ABK’s “A Guide to series”, offer ends soon! http://www.birdkeeper.com.au/bargain-nest/special-20-off
– Upcoming SF DocFest screenings of “Life with Alex” : June 8 & 12 at the Roxie in SF and June 10th at the Aquarius in Palo Alto!
– Lost: In Canada, eh? LOST African Grey Parrot / Bird – Red Deer, Alberta … – ParrotAlert.com —Lost & Found Birds Worldwide Possible tornado escapee? By OKC Lost Pets on 5/28/13 in Birds, Found Pets “Have a tropical bird come to my feeder the last 4 days, looks like a miniature parrot, red head, yellow throat and green body.” 405.799.7316
– Last word this week: Cockatiel Spike sings tequila – YouTube