– PHOTO CAPTION: Pseudoparrot is target in arcade game on Nantasket Beach, MA. No real parrots were harmed in the playing of this game.
– Crikey! Pink and white cockatoos re-imagining “The Birds”; Aussie style. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23429674
– Parrot fever comes to Sweden. http://www.thelocal.se/49230/20130724/
– Gurudeva is renowned in India for his work with birds. http://bit.ly/18AoHa0
– It’s that VW Jetta commercial with the parrot! www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNrUJj6ByvM And some talented macaws http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cg8kdcN8Wi0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dcg8k… — Finally, classic commercials from Bud Lite featuring parrots http://youtu.be/dYjXjHWKWE8 — http://youtu.be/B21xS8lXvrA — http://youtu.be/BliIthCnSnw — http://youtu.be/IvyjxlrraUo
– The thickbilled parrot, which once ranged into Arizona and Mexico, is about to get a helping hand in Mexico. http://rimcountrygazette.blogspot.com/2013/07/recovery-plan-underway-for…
– The most All-American parrot of all wasn’t around to celebrate July 4th this year. But it might be in a future year- and there are other contenders for the title. Click on cover, scroll to Page 10 and click on the page to enlarge George Sommers‘ “Pet Gazette” feature story.
– Spain kicking out feral quaker parrots. http://cityparrots.org/journal/2013/7/22/madrid-declares-war-on-monk-par…
– Bahia Blanca, Argentina kicking out unique urban colony of burrowing parrots for city development. There is a campaign against this action at: http://www.change.org/petitions/sr-intendente-de-bah%C3%ADa-blanca-dr-gu… It’s in Spanish, but easy to fill, according to the organizers.
– Blog cabin: Behavior serves a purpose, says Lara Joseph in http://networkedblogs.com/NueZu — What to do when your bird night thrashes is the subject of Monika Dimick Weise‘s blog http://www.bubblews.com/news/861367-cockatiel-crazies — The latest from the first lady of chop, Patricia Sund: http://parrotnation.com/2013/07/22/community-chop-at-phoenix-landing/
– Parrotlets attempt record breaking toy breaking. http://bit.ly/19eea7h
– Would you (do you) potty train your bird? Watch a video of this 10 y/o African grey keeping the house clean http://bit.ly/13eMebZ
– Bird people talk: A flock of high powered speakers at the 8/7-10 American Federation for Aviculture include Boston’s own Robin Shewokis and Linda Rubin; as well as Concetta Ferragamo; co-president of Parrot Safari Club of New England. http://www.regonline.com/builder/site/tab3.aspx?EventID=1130121 —“Life with Alex” has just been selected by the New Jersey Film Festival, reports Arlene Levin; producer/lab assistant to Dr. Irene Pepperberg. — Barbara Heidenreich teaching animal training workshops in England, Ireland and Germany this November. For info http://www.goodbirdinc.com/calendar.html
– The American Federation for Aviculture AVY Award Categories & RulesVisit the AFA website at the link http://www.afabirds.org/awards.shtml, and click on Awards on the Press tab. Deadline for next year’s awards is 12/31/13.
– Clubbin’: Flapping Feathers of NJ meets Wed. 7/24, 7:30 pm Land and Sea Diner and Restaurant 20-12 Fair Lawn Avenue Fair Lawn, NJ
– Rescue me: Vote for this photo to help Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue win $10,000! http://www.globalgiving.org/poll/vote/?pollOptionId=301 They are in second place and there are only a few days left. This is one of my favorite rescues. This project will help Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue pay for veterinary care for rescued birds across the greater San Francisco Bay Area. They are a nonprofit with a 100% volunteer staff, with veterinary bills of $15,000-$20,000 per month.
– Lost: African grey parrot; Tango, E. Braintree, MA. $500 reward offered. Call (781) 812-3580 any time.
– Readin’ material: And monkeys might fly out of my… “The Flying Monkey” is the online publication of Foster Parrots New England. http://www.fosterparrots.com/newsletters/June2013.pdf —World Parrot Trust‘s just released “Flock Talk” features several articles on endangered parrots as well as that bane of so many aviculturists – feather plucking.–“AFA Watchbird”‘s just released issue includes a profile of the blue fronted Amazon and the bittersweet story of a young disabled girl and her dream of pairing other disabled children with pet birds.–“Parrot Magazine” – the latest in advice and information for parrot owners and enthusiasts. www.parrotmag.com — “BirdKeeper” subscriptions increasing by $5.00 per year from next issue. Subscribe from the current issue (Vol 26 Issue 9) and save! Current issue subscriptions are $75 for the year. Email your details to email@example.com or phone 07 5568 0011 to organize. Next issue is 8/9. Digital subscriptions also available at www.ilovemagazines.com.au or overseas via POCKETMAGS, APPLE NEWSSTAND and Google Play (Bec add links please). –AAV conservation forum proceedings publication from the 2012 conference about the Puerto Rican Amazon: AAV-2012-PRP Part 1.jvv.pdf
– Last word this week goes to Disco the budgie yet again! http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/07/23/204898898/watch-disco-the…
– News tip credits go to American Federation for Aviculture group email; WindyCity Parrots, Dawn Korpalski, Linda Rubin, Amy Hopkins.