With Fall fast approaching, many parents are scrambling to prepare their little ones to start school. Here are some tips to relieve your anxiety and become more involved with your child’s education and experience at school.
1) Many schools now have “open house” events just before school starts. This gives the children, and parents an opportunity to meet the principal (if you haven’t done so already), teachers, and helpers at the school. It’s very helpful to know the people that will be with your children for most of their day.
2) Check into your district’s/school’s PTO program. It is a great way to stay involved with the events at your child’s school and also makes parents more present in their child’s school environment and shows your child that you are interested in their school experience.
3) Take these last few weeks to go over some things that your child may have forgotten over the summer. It doesn’t have to be full-swing and take over their fun summer activities. Just a half hour a day will make a huge difference in their transition back to school. Many schools now have online programs that supplement their yearly curriculum. They are a great resource!
4) Of course school shopping would be much easier/faster with the little ones at home, but don’t pass up the opportunity to take your child with you and allow them to be involved in the school-shopping experience. It will have a big impact on your child and their confidence before school starts.
5) Connect with some of the parents of older kids. They may know more about the schools/teachers/programs that your child is going to experience in the coming year. It’s always good to have the inside track on things!
Always – Talking to your children is going to instantly improve your relationship with your child and will boost their interest in their education. Simple questions like, “How was your day?”, “What did you learn?” are going to let your child know that you are interested in what their doing and will make them want to share with you even more.
Check out the local school websites below and get started. September is fast approaching!