Earlier month, an interesting name popped up in the Microsoft registry, “Halo: Spartan Assault. Nothing was known about the game, but given the title many assumed it to be a spin off of the standard Halo story line will utilizing many of the same mechanics much like Halo: ODST.
Today we find out exactly what “Halo: Spartan Assault” is…. a top down, real-time strategy title for Windows 8 mobile devices and PC. Now, although this sounds ridiculous from the get go, it actually makes relative sense. This isn’t the first time the Halo name has dabbled in RTS (see Halo Wars) games. Furthermore, the mobile and PC platform leave the possibility of Smart Glass” utilization later on – although this game is coming soon, like next month soon.
Nothing else can really be said outside of what the official “fact sheet” says – the only thing I’m not happy about (IE: Adjust to) is the ability to buy your way to greatness, but thats an argument for a whole other topic. In the mean time, check the official fact sheet below and let me know what you think by subscribing to me here, on Youtube at Youtube/Pitmonkey or on Twitter @NicholasGigante.
Title: “Halo: Spartan Assault”
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Developer(s): 343 Industries and Vanguard Games
Format: Digital download available only for Windows 8 PCs, tablets and Windows Phone 8 devices
ESRB Rating: T for Teen
Price: $6.99 ERP1
Availability: July 2013
Product Overview: Available only for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, “Halo: Spartan Assault” is a new top-down action shooter that brings a “Halo” video game to touch-based devices for the first time in franchise history. Developed by 343 Industries in conjunction with Vanguard Games, “Halo: Spartan Assault” provides an accessible, pick-up-and-play experience for fans and newcomers alike.
Set between the events of “Halo 3” and “Halo 4,” “Halo: Spartan Assault” is a new chapter of the award-winning “Halo” universe that explores the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and dives deeper into the backstory of Human-Covenant wars. Play through the eyes of either Commander Sarah Palmer or Spartan Davis stationed aboard the UNSC Infinity as they fight never-before-seen battles against Covenant forces.
With rich storytelling, intuitive controls, and best-in-class action, audio and graphics, “Halo: Spartan Assault” brings the epic scale and action of the “Halo” universe to mobile devices through unrivaled action and intensity.
Features: Top features include the following:
- Original “Halo” gameplay. An action-packed, single-player campaign spanning 25 missions in battles never before experienced in the Halo Universe, all played from a top-down camera view
- New and immersive storyline. An original story set between the events of “Halo 3” and “Halo 4,” experience a new war with the Covenant, the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and the rise of Commander Sarah Palmer, all with best-in-class graphics and audio
- Built for simplicity. A unique fusion of touch and consolelike controls for easy pick-up-and-play gaming, with the added flexibility of keyboard and mouse controls on Windows 8 PCs and tablets2
- Integration with “Halo 4.” Earn experience points (XP), all-new Achievements, and unlock emblems for your “Halo 4” Spartan career, with additional integration features available after launch.
- Nonstop competitive fun. Compete against friends in Leaderboards or hone your skills against an onslaught of Weekly Challenges while collecting more than 40 in-game Achievements and Med
- In-app purchases. Grind to earn upgrades or speed up your training by purchasing credits for boosts, unique weapons or armor ability
- Only on Windows. Available only on Windows 8 PCs and tablets and Windows Phone 8 devices.