With the exception of the handicap five-player competition, there weren’t many changes on the leaderboard in Week 3 of the 79th annual Florida State Bowling Association’s championship tournament in Pinellas County.
According to unofficial standings released immediately after the final squad on Sunday (May 26), leaders held firm in seven of eight events, although the top of the handicap team standings underwent a major shakeup.
The Ebonite International team set the pace with a handicap score of 3,517 for the first two tournament weekends, but a Jacksonville group, Knot 4 Reel, rolled to the top spot with a 3,703 pinfall. Other Jacksonville teams — BH & The Lady Ds (second at 3,622) and Jax Biker Gear (fourth at 3,584) — turned in impressive performances, while Mitchell’s Welding of Miami moved into third at 3,606, dropping Ebonite International to fifth place.
Ebonite International remained on top of the scratch team leaderboard with 3,442, while two of its members — John Janawicz and Vernon Peterson — maintained their dominance in four other events.
The Janawicz-Peterson duo topped both doubles events — scratch (1,603) and handicap (1,665) — while Janawicz remained first in handicap all-events (2,338) and second in scratch all-events (2,233), with Peterson runner-up in handicap all-events (2,316) and first in scratch all-events (2,235).
Thomas Wilhelm of Orlando remained No. 1 in handicap singles with 858, while David Stouffer of Fort Myers continued on top in scratch singles with 804.
The only third-weekend honor score was a 299 posted by Jay Colon of Miami in the team event on Sunday. To date, there have been two perfect games — by Jay Hess and Thomas Wilhelm, both of Orlando — and three 800-plus series, by Peterson (822), Stouffer (804) and Emilio Mora of East Pasco (803). The tournament will conclude on June 29-30.
Sarasota-Manatee bowlers dot the leaderboard
Nick Wagner of Bradenton turned in a fine performance in the singles competition, taking fourth place scratch (755) and third place handicap (841).
Also representing the Sarasota-Manatee County USBC Bowling Association, the Head Shots climbed into fifth place in team scratch standings (3,055) and into 18th in handicap team totals (3,401). Also, Erik Knepp and Ben Lapp of Sarasota are now No. 5 in handicap doubles with 1,530.
Preston Willis of Bradenton remained eighth in handicap all-events with 2,204, while two area doubles teams were listed in handicap doubles: Willis and Tony Kormansek of Bradenton (12th at 1,497) and Ann & Glenn Jessup of Palmetto (32nd at 1,443).
A Sarasota-Manatee team, Edward Jones Financial, is now 22nd in scratch standings (2,875) and 34th handicap (3,318), while The Upholstery Shoppe (3,447) and Tony’s Team (3,331) are 11th and 31st in the handicap listings.
Taking a look at the top three in each event, according to up-to-date unofficial standings:
- HANDICAP TEAM: 1, Knot 4 Reel (Jacksonville) 3,703; 2, BJ & The Lady Ds (Jacksonville) 3,622; 3, Mitchell’s Welding (Miami) 3,606.
- SCRATCH TEAM: 1, Ebonite International (Orlando) 3,422; 2, Sal’s Team No. 4 (East Pasco) 3,220; 3, Dream Team (Palm Beach) 3,115.
- HANDICAP DOUBLES: 1, John Janawicz and Vernon Peterson (Lake Wales) 1,665; 2, Karen Brown and Al Brown (Tallahassee) 1,601; 3, Josh Sorrell and Bob Pierce (Jacksonville) 1,568.
- SCRATCH DOUBLES: 1, John Janawicz and Vernon Peterson (Lake Wales) 1,603; 2, Jay Hess and James Eiker (Orlando) 1,372; 3, John Hough III and David Stouffer (Fort Myers) 1,367.
- HANDICAP SINGLES: 1, Thomas Wilhelm (Orlando) 858; 2, David Stouffer (Fort Myers) 852; 3, Nick Wagner (Bradenton) 841.
- SCRATCH SINGLES: 1, David Stouffer (Fort Myers) 804; 2, Emilio Mora (East Pasco) 771; 3, Drew Conaway (Key West) 763.
- HANDICAP ALL-EVENTS: 1, John Janawicz (Lake Wales) 2,338; 2, Vernon Peterson (Lake Wales) 2,316; 3, Michele Fiumara (St. Petersburg) 2,244.
- SCRATCH ALL-EVENTS: 1, Vernon Peterson (Lake Wales) 2,235; 2, John Janawicz (Lake Wales) 2,233; 3, Emilio Mora (East Pasco) 2,183.