The Aaron Hernandez murder case is taking a new twist today, as reports are surfacing that the former New England Patriot tight end may be linked to a drive-by shooting in Boston last year that left two men dead at the scene. Aaron Hernandez was arraigned yesterday for the first-degree execution style murder of 27 year-old Odin Lloyd in North Attleborough, Mass., last week. Sources say Lloyd may have had information implicating the NFL star in last year’s double murder, according The Boston Globe on Thursday, June 27. That could explain Lloyd’s mysterious texts to his sister that suggest he knew he was in trouble the night he died.
Early in the hours of July 16, 2012, a BMW was ambushed by a hail of bullets in Boston’s South End. Three of the five individuals in car were shot. Daniel Abreu, 29, and Safiro Furtado, 28, were found dead at the scene.
Investigators believe a fight broke out just hours before the drive-by shooting at “Cure”, a night club in the South End, between two men and a another group that included Aaron Hernandez.
As driver Abreu was stopped at a traffic light on Shawmut Avenue, waiting to turn left onto Herald Street, a silver or gray SUV with Rhode Island license plates pulled up alongside the sedan. Someone inside the SUV opened fire on the BMW.
The SUV hadn’t been located but CNN is just reporting that a law enforcement official close to the investigation told them the vehicle has been found.
The source claims the Boston Police Department has impounded that silver SUV with Rhode Island registration they’ve been trying to find for nearly a year. Investigators believe that Hernandez was renting the SUV at the time of those killings, the source said.
The other three men survived the shooting, but the crime remains unsolved. Law enforcement officials say investigators now believe that Odin Lloyd may have had information about Hernandez’s role in the double slaying.
Just minutes before he was shot to death in the wee hours of June 17, Odin Lloyd texted his sister first saying, “Did you see who I was with”? His sister responded asking, “Who”? Lloyd texted back, “NFL”, adding “Just so you know”, according to SFGate.
“The motive might have been that the victim knew [Hernandez] might have been involved”, one of the officials told the Globe. With what Lloyd texted just before his death is does seem he may have felt his life was in danger.
ABC News reports that a second man, Carlos Ortiz of Bristol, Conn., has been arrested in connection with the Lloyd killing. So far officials have so far refused to explain Ortiz’s role in the murder.
Aaron Hernandez was back in court Thursday where his attorneys argued again that he should be released on bail. “CNN Newsroom” is reporting that he was denied bail once again.
Perhaps these latest revelations about Hernandez’s role in the double-murder from last year played a role in that decision.
During his first 24 hours in jail, Hernandez has been described by Bristol County Sheriff Tom Hodgson as, “polite and cooperative”, and a “model inmate”, he said.
Standard protocol has Hernandez held in the medical unit, where he’ll be locked up for 23 hours a day. He’ll have a break for to shower and to make phone calls, the sheriff said.
People in Massachusetts, New England and around the world are riveted by this case, since it involves an affluent professional athlete with a bright future, who appears to have thrown it all away on a life of crime.
Stay tuned for further updates as they become available.