June 17 – June 21 is National Small Business Week in Washington, DC. National Small Business Week, sponsored by the U.S. Small Business Administration, honors top entrepreneurs each year.
To celebrate Small Business Week, there will be social media events throughout the city. This is a great opportunity for small business owners to learn the benefits of social media and how to use social media effectively.
Small Business Week is also the perfect occasion to network with and meet potential customers, clients and new business partners. A good way to make sure you stay connected and engage with these new contacts is to grab your social handles and be sure to share them with as many of the other participants as you can. Now, you may be thinking, I know what my love handles are, but what are my social handles? They are your usernames on social media networks.
Here is the first in a two-part guide that will show you how to grab your social handles and create vanity URLs for both your personal and business brands – before someone else does. This will ensure you make long lasting connections at this event:
Change Your Facebook Username
From your Facebook personal profile:
- Click on the gear icon in the right corner of your profile
- Go to Account Settings in the drop down box
- In the left navigation click on the General tab
- To the right of the left navigation, click on Edit next to Username. You can change your Name and Username. If you are branding your personal name, you should change the name to your personal name
- Under username, type in your name
- To save these settings you will need to enter your password and click save changes
- You have now generated your Facebook URL that will look like this, facebook.com/yourname
Here’s how to change a Facebook Page name: (Keep in mind you can only change the name of a Facebook Page with fewer than 200 likes.)
- From the top right of your Page, click Edit Page
- Select Update Public Info
- In the left navigation click on Basic Information
- To the right of the left navigation, click on Change username in the Username section
- You will be directed to the You are using Facebook as a page. Click on the Continue as [your personal profile name] button
- Enter a new Page Name and click Check Availability
- If the username you want is available, click Confirm to save it
- You have now generated your Facebook PAGE URL that will look like this, facebook.com/AdminTechConsulting
In part two of this guide you will learn how to grab your social handles on Twitter and LinkedIn.