Fast and Easy Paella Recipe in a Rice Cooker
This is a super fast paella recipe (rice dish) that you can set up as soon as you get home from work and it will be done faster than your family can say, “What’s for dinner?” When you want to eat Paella you usually think of rice, seafood and sausage that takes a long time to cook in a specialty pan, well, not anymore. With a few simple ingredients and a rice cooker with a steamer (combo) you can make this simple paella quick and easy. If you don’t like seafood, substitute chicken but the chicken must be precooked before placing it in the rice cooker. For a vegetarian dish, omit the seafood/meat and add a soy protein or just mix with veggies.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1-6.5 oz chopped clams, drained but keep the liquid
- 1-4 oz can of octopus in garlic sauce (Iberia brand), drain and keep this liquid
- ½ lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (fresh or frozen)
- 1 bunch of broccoli that fits in the basket of your rice steamer
- ¼ sliced onions
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 – 10 oz. package of Yellow Rice (Vigo brand has great seasoning and highly recommended)
- ½ tsp or to taste – red pepper flakes (optional) and kosher salt
- Rice cooker with a steam rack
- Optional garnish: fresh parsley, peas/carrots and/or any of your favorite veggies.
Directions for Rice Cooker Paella
1. Place the drained clam juice and octopus liquid into a large measuring cup and add water until there is 2 1/3 cup of liquid. Pour liquid and yellow rice into the rice cooker, along with the extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and pepper flakes. Stir in the clams and octopus into the uncooked rice mixture.
2. Place the onions and broccoli in the steaming rack and place on top of rice, sprinkle kosher salt to taste on top of veggies. If you do not have a steaming rack for your rice cooker you can steam the veggies separately on the stove or microwave, but this will take longer. Now turn on the rice cooker.
When the rice cooker turns off, usually within 20 minutes, remove the steamer rack. If you like your veggies crunchier you can remove the veggies before the rice is finished. Let the cooked rice mixture sit, covered for 5-10 minutes, then stir – garnish with steamed veggies and top with optional garnish – enjoy!
If you’ve tried this recipe comment below and let me know what modifications you made to make your version of this simple dish.
This recipe is modified from the Vigo website for paella.
If you liked this article click the Subscribe button to receive email updates when a new article is published. Connect with Monica on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Be sure to check out Monica’s other columns:
- Cooking Examiner
- Travel Examiner
- Disney Travel Examiner
- Biblical Living Examiner
©mLehua. All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article.
Got something to say? Say it on Examiner by following this link to sign up.