After suffering severe damage in Hurricane Sandy, the oceanside amphitheater at Jones Beach re-opened yesterday with a full roster of summer concerts for New York fans and over $20 million in renovations and improvements.
The venue officially known as The Nikon At Jones Beach Theater is one of the best places to catch a concert in the tri-state region, with cool ocean breezes and gorgeous sunsets enhancing the magic of any outdoor show. Unfortunately, the theater’s proximity to the ocean also meant that Hurricane Sandy submerged significant portions of the lower bowl and orchestra sections, as well as the stage, tunnels, and offices.
Venue and state agencies worked furiously to repair damages over the past several months, and also used the opportunity to upgrade infrastructure and make improvements to the 60 year old site. With work completed just days ago, the theater now boasts brand new seats and more modern technology, and the 2013 concert season promises to be one of the best yet (although alcohol is still maddeningly restricted to only the VIP section, which also underwent significant improvements this winter).
While New Jersey’s Starland Ballroom remains shuttered following Sandy’s devastation, New Yorkers should be rejoicing as Jones Beach opens not only on schedule, but boasting a full schedule of concerts too.
The summer concert line up is as follows:
• May 31 Rascal Flatts
• June 1 Pitbull & Ke$ha
• June 22 Fleetwood Mac
• June 23 Rush
• June 25 & 26 Dave Matthews Band
• June 27 Heart
• June 28 & 29 One Direction
• July 6 The Rascals
• July 12 Phish
• July 13 311, Cypress Hill, G Love & Special Sauce
• July 14 Sublime with Rome, Descendents, Pennywise
• July 17 Daughtry & Three Doors Down
• July 18 Big Time Rush & Victoria Justice
• July 19 Lil Wayne, T.I. and 2 Chainz
• July 20 Jonas Brothers
• July 21 Blake Shelton
• July 23 Train, The Script, Gavin DeGraw
• July 25 Imagine Dragons
• July 27 Bob Dylan and his Band, Wilco, Beck, Ryan Bingham
• August 6 Wiz Khalifa & A$AP Rocky, B.O.B, Trinidad James, Joey Bada$$,
• August 10 The Black Crows & Tedeschi Trucks Band
• August 11 Honda Civic Tour Maroon 5, Kelly Clarkson
• August 13 Backstreet Boys, Jesse McCartney, DJ Pauly D
• August 17 Matchbox Twenty, Goo Goo Dolls
• August 18 Rockstar Energy Uproar Festival (Alice In Chains, Jane’s Addiction)
• August 20 & 22 Jimmy Buffett & The Coral Reefer Band
• August 28 John Mayer, Philip Philips
• September 8 Depeche Mode, Bat for Lashes
Tickets for all shows are on sale through Livenation.com, and can also be purchased at the box office. Check out my June concert preview by clicking here for more information on upcoming shows.
As always, stay in the loop with the Hard Rock Examiner for further information on tickets on-sales and all local rock and heavy metal news by subscribing at the top of this page, or follow me at twitter.com/NYROCKEXAMINER.