A kindergarten student attending Old Mill Pond Elementary in Palmer, Mass., was punished and forced to apologize for having a tiny Lego-sized toy gun slightly larger than a quarter, The Blaze reported Wednesday.
“I think they over-reacted totally. I totally do,” said Mieke Crane, the mother of the six-year-old who brought the tiny toy on the bus.
Another student saw the gun and yelled at the driver.
“She said he caused quite a disturbance on the bus and that the children were traumatized,” Crane added.
Authorities sent a letter to parents explaining what happened.
“It stressed no gun was on the bus and there was never any danger,” WGGB-TV reported.
But Crane is upset with the punishment her son received. She said he was forced to write an apology to the bus driver and was scheduled for detention on Tuesday. WGGB said the boy could be temporarily suspended from the bus. The student who yelled about the toy also had to apologize.
“I could see if it was you know, an air soft gun or some sort of pistol or live bullets or something. This is just a toy,” Crane said.
“Crane says her son knows guns are bad and that they shouldn’t be in school,” WGGB added.
“At six-years-old. I don’t really think he understood the zero tolerance policy and related it to this as the same,” she said.
Dana Loesch said people on Twitter thought she was making the story up.
“No,” she wrote, “our society is that stupid.”
“Shame on this school district for traumatizing this child and all of the other children in its care. How ironic, instead of educating children, they force ignorance, punish innocent play, and breed fear,” she added.
Update: WGGB reported that after reviewing the surveillance video, the boy would not serve detention.
“She [the principal] looked at the tape, the children were not standing up hollering, nobody was ducking, no one was screaming he has a gun. The little boy raised his hand properly the first time,” Crane said.
- Tutorial: How to tell the difference between a Glock and a half-eaten Pop Tart
- Public schools turning stupid over guns
- School removes toy soldiers with guns from cupcakes, calls them ‘insensitive’
- Second-grade Maryland boy suspended after chewing pastry into shape of gun
- Washington boy suspended for talking about toy Nerf guns, suspension overturned
- Actor Joseph C. Phillips says teacher threatened son over photo of BB gun
- Philadelphia fifth-grader searched, threatened, called a murderer over paper gun
- Seven-year-old boy suspended for tossing imaginary grenade at recess
- Middle-school student ordered to cover Marine Corps t-shirt or face suspension
- Six-year-old suspended from school for making finger gun, saying ‘pow’
- Five-year-old named terrorist threat, suspended after threat to shoot bubbles
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.