If you love the fresh flavors that a cold, and fresh gazpacho soup can offer, then you have come to the right place. This recipe uses seasonal vegetables to produce a refreshing take on lunch or dinner. Here is what you’ll need to serve approximately 4 people:
- 4 Cups fresh tomatoes, peeled (optional) and chopped.
- 1 Medium or 2 small cucumbers, cubed
- 1 Jalepeno seeded and chopped (optional)
- 2- 3 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- ¼ Cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ Red bell pepper diced small (enough to sprinkle in bottom of each bowl & on top of soup)
- ¼ Red onion diced small (enough to sprinkle in bottom of each bowl & on top of soup)
- 1 small cucumber diced small (enough to sprinkle in bottom of each bowl & on top of soup)
- If you don’t have a powerful blender, you may want to skin the tomatoes. To do that, all you have to do is mark an ‘X’ on the bottom of each tomato with a sharp knife and boil some water. When the water is boiling place the tomatoes in the water for 10 seconds, then remove and place in ice water. The skins will come right off with hardly any effort at all.
- Next, chop your tomatoes and place them in your blender.
- Chop your cucumbers and add them to the blender.
- Now it’s time to add the Jalepeno to the mix. If you don’t like too much heat, be sure to remove the seeds. You can add this whole or chop prior to adding to the blender.
- Add your garlic which should be peeled but doesn’t need to be chopped.
- Toss in your cilantro and place the lid on the blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Drizzle in your olive oil and vinegar while you pulse the mixture.
- Add a dash of salt.
- Now you need to chill the mixture until cold for a minimum of 30 minutes if you like it cold or you can serve it at room temperature.
Assembling the dish for serving:
- Dice your red bell pepper, cucumber and red onion. If you want to take the bite out of the onion, soak it for a few minutes in ice water, then drain on a clean towel.
- Sprinkle a few of each of the three diced vegetables in the bottom of each bowl.
- Top the fresh vegetables with your gazpacho and viola, you are ready to enjoy one of the seasons most enjoyable soups. Happy eating!