Both of the Region II-5A area-round playoff series that involved Klein ISD schools on Saturday needed a third game to be decided and both came down to late-inning rallies that decided those games.
One of those rallies sent the Klein Collins Tigers into next week’s third round of the UIL baseball playoffs. The other sent the Klein Bearkats home for the year.
Klein Collins (25-9) scored seven runs, including a walkoff grand slam home run by junior Jason Helms, to erase a 6-2 deficit in the bottom of the seventh inning and capture a 9-6 win over the Cedar Ridge Raiders that propelled them into the regional quarterfinal round against the Kingwood Mustangs.
- SEE KLEIN COLLINS’ COME-FROM-BEHIND WIN OVER CEDAR RIDGE IN GAME 3 OF THEIR UIL REGION II-5A AREA ROUND SERIES
The Tigers had forced a Game 3 earlier in the day with a 7-2 victory in the second game of the best-of-three series at Weimar’s Veteran’s Memorial Baseball Park.
But Cedar Ridge jumped out to a 5-2 lead midway through the third game and, when they added an insurance run in the top of the seventh, the outlook appeared bleak for Klein Collins with three outs to go.
The bottom of the seventh did not get off to a promising start for the Tigers. After a leadoff walk, two fielder’s choice ground balls left a runner on first base with one out to go.
Then, five consecutive Klein Collins batters reached base on four hits and a walk and cut the Cedar Ridge lead to 6-5 with the bases loaded.
Helms, the ninth Tiger to bat in the inning, worked the count to 3-1 before depositing a home run beyond the right field wall and send the Klein Collins dugout pouring onto the field.
The ending wasn’t as happy for the Klein Bearkats in Game 3 of their series against Round Rock on Saturday night in Mumford.
The Bearkats dropped an emotional 10-9 decision to the Dragons following a five-run rally for Round Rock that ultimately set up a third-round matchup for them against The Woodlands Highlanders next week.
Klein (29-5) carried a 7-5 lead into the bottom of the sixth inning in their game that was precipitated by an 11-2 win by the Bearkats in Game 2 of the series on Saturday afternoon.
But the first four Round Rock batters reached in the inning and all scored. The damaging blow was a bases-loaded single by Dominic Anagnos that brought home two runs and gave the Dragons an 8-7 lead when the throw to the plate got past Klein catcher Christian Caudle, scoring the third runner.
The play was contested by Bearkats coach Barry Smith and at least one ejection of a Klein player followed.
- SEE ROUND ROCK TAKE THE LEAD AGAINST KLEIN IN GAME 3 OF THEIR UIL REGION II-5A AREA ROUND SERIES
After the dust settled, Anagnos scored on a sacrifice fly and Round Rock added a fifth run in the frame when Klein botched a rundown between third and home. The Bearkats trailed 10-7 heading into the seventh.
But Klein did not go quietly. They posted a pair of seventh-inning runs on an RBI hit by sophomore Kendal Jefferies and a wild pitch and had the potential tying run at second base to end the game.
Game-changing rallies were the order of the day in another pair of the area-round pairings in the Houston area on Saturday.
Jersey Village scored five runs in the eighth to defeat Seven Lakes in their single-game playoff.
Deer Park rallied from a 3-0 deficit with seven runs in their final two at-bats to take the third and deciding game of their series against Kempner, 7-3.
The Cougars had forced a third game thanks to Dylan Dusek’s five-hit, ten-strikeout performance in a 3-0 shutout of Deer Park in the second game of the series earlier in the day.
The complete Class 5A and Class 4A scoreboard follows.
* * * * * *
UIL Class 5A Region II Area Round
Klein vs. Round Rock
- Game 1: ROUND ROCK 4, KLEIN 1
- Game 2: KLEIN 11, ROUND ROCK 2
- Game 3: ROUND ROCK 10, KLEIN 9
The Woodlands vs. Stony Point
- Single Game: THE WOODLANDS 2, STONY POINT 1
Kingwood vs. Round Rock McNeil
- Game 1: KINGWOOD 3, MCNEIL 0
- Game 2: KINGWOOD 4, MCNEIL 3
Klein Collins vs. Cedar Ridge
- Game 1: CEDAR RIDGE 4, KLEIN COLLINS 3
- Game 2: KLEIN COLLINS 7, CEDAR RIDGE 2
- Game 3: KLEIN COLLINS 9, CEDAR RIDGE 6
* * * * *
UIL Class 5A Region III Area Round
Seven Lakes vs. Jersey Village
- Single Game: JERSEY VILLAGE 7, SEVEN LAKES 2
Cypress Falls vs. Katy
- Game 1: KATY 4, CYPRESS FALLS 2
- Game 2: KATY 4, CYPRESS FALLS 3
Brazoswood vs. Manvel
- Single Game: MANVEL 8, BRAZOSWOOD 6
Pearland vs. Clear Falls
- Game 1: PEARLAND 5, CLEAR FALLS 2
- Game 2: PEARLAND 11, CLEAR FALLS 1
Houston Memorial vs. Cypress Woods
- Game 1: MEMORIAL 6, CYPRESS WOODS 2
- Game 2: MEMORIAL 6, CYPRESS WOODS 5
Cypress Ranch vs. Bellaire
- Single Game: CYPRESS RANCH 9, BELLAIRE 2
Dulles vs. North Shore
- Single Game: DULLES 4, NORTH SHORE 1
Deer Park vs. Kempner
- Game 1: DEER PARK 5, KEMPNER 0
- Game 2: KEMPNER 3, DEER PARK 0
- Game 3: DEER PARK 7, KEMPNER 3
* * * * * *
UIL Class 4A Region III Area Round
Nederland vs. Hutto
- Game 1: NEDERLAND 8, HUTTO 0
- Game 2: NEDERLAND 6, HUTTO 1
Montgomery vs. Kingwood Park
- Game 1: KINGWOOD PARK 2, MONTGOMERY 1
- Game 2: MONTGOMERY 9, KINGWOOD PARK 1
- Game 3: MONTGOMERY 8, KINGWOOD PARK 0
Santa Fe vs. Ridge Point
- Game 1: RIDGE POINT 1, SANTA FE 0
- Game 2: RIDGE POINT 7, SANTA FE 6
Tomball vs. Friendswood
- Single Game: TOMBALL 4, FRIENDSWOOD 3
Barbers Hill vs. Brenham
- Game 1: BARBERS HILL 6, BRENHAM 1
- Game 2: BRENHAM 8, BARBERS HILL 6
- Game 3: BARBERS HILL 9, BRENHAM 2
Georgetown vs. Port Neches-Groves
- Single Game: GEORGETOWN 10, PORT NECHES-GROVES 2
Foster vs. Stratford
- Game 1: FOSTER 4, STRATFORD 2
- Game 2: FOSTER 4, STRATFORD 3
Tomball Memorial vs. Galveston Ball
- Game 1: BALL 3, TOMBALL MEMORIAL 1
- Game 2: BALL 7, TOMBALL MEMORIAL 2