Foodborne illness is on the rise and the CDC has been investigating the trend. Produce imported into the United States seems to be at the heart of food disease outbreaks. Produce namely vegetables and seafood, almost half of which come from Asia. Local farmers and regional growers, and their markets are the freshest and safer purchase. Summertime is the best time to get out and meet your local farmers and gardeners if the local markets and ask your question about how the fresh fruits and vegetables are raised.
Specialty items for your diet needs can also be found at farmers markets
1. Abundant Harvest Gardens LLC- Naturally, organic, no pesticide, grown fruits and vegetables, eggs and meats, from local farms in Georgia too numerous to list here; find the closest one to you by visiting the link.
2. Batdorf & Bronson Coffee Roasters-Single and blended coffees and organic coffee beans at two locations: Dancing Goats 675 Ponce De Leon Ave Ne Atlanta and 650 North Ave Ne. Atlanta.
3. Atlanta Fresh Artisan Creamery- local greek yogurt and fresh mozzerella cheese from Georgia milk.
4. Costa’s Pasta-Fresh made pasta and products.
5. David Jeffries Kitchen-pastries and baked goods made with natural, high quality ingredients.
6. Dubberly’s Seafood-wild caught fresh and frozen shrimp from Savannah’s coat.
7. Fairlywood Thicket Jams and Jellies-local, organic and wild crafted ingredients.
8. Flat Creek Lodge-Farmstead, seasonal, cheese, oysters and berries.
9. H&F Bread company-fresh baked breads and pastries.
10. Hidden Springs Farm-pure raw honey.
11. Hope’s Gardens-three different kinds of pesto.
12. Indigo bath and Body- local made items for the bath and body.
13. King of Pops-The best popsicles in town made from local and organic ingredients.
14. Native Juice Bar- No additives, no preservatives 100% fresh, 100% juice.
15. Pure Bliss Organics- Nourishing your body with certified organic granola, energy bars and gourmet nuts.
16. Queen of Tarts- Handmade tarts with local, organic ingredients and heirloom wheat. www.facebook.com/QueenofTartsAtl
17. Souper Jenny-Homemade soups, salads and sandwiches using farmer’s ingredients.
18. Taj Ma-Hound- A bakery that specializes in all natural dog treats.
19. Every Saturday-All of these local goodies plus local and organic famers with fresh produce and meats, eggs and dairy products can be found in one place, at the Peachtree Road Farmers Market Cathedral of St. Phillip, 2744 Peachtree road NW Atlanta Georgia 30305. April through August Saturdays 8:30 am-12 noon, and October through December Saturdays 9am-12 noon.