The Mayor’s Fitness Council proudly announces the seven winners of its 2013 Healthy Heroes campaign.
These Healthy Heroes will represent the council by promoting and encouraging healthy living in their communities, at home, and in their workplace.
The Healthy Heroes Award is an initiative of the council that recognizes adults and youth who have made positive changes to improve their quality of life and health, have influenced those around to create healthy changes, and influenced the health and fitness of the community as a whole.
The seven Healthy Heroes were chosen from 151 nominations that were submitted by friends, co-workers, relatives, and individuals across San Antonio. These Healthy Heroes represent the council in one of three categories: Individual Health, Peer Health, and Community Health. Our seven 2013 Healthy Heroes are listed below and our 4 youth winners are students representing Northside, North East, and San Antonio Independent School Districts:
1. Cesar Canizalez, Youth individual health and fitness improvement – weight loss in order to maintain an active lifestyle in high school, plays band at Churchill High School.
2. Sarah Cazares, Adult individual health and fitness improvement – completed half marathons and the tower climb all with lower lung capacity due to cystic fibrosis
3. Ivan Bermejo, Youth peer health and fitness influence – helped overhaul school lunch program to introduce more fruit and vegetable and whole grain options – Edison High School
4. Irma Garcia, Adult peer health and fitness influence – volunteers and mentors co-workers at Baptist Medical Center to participate in healthy activities in the workplace
5. Makayla and Alyssa Esparza, Youth community health and fitness influence – elementary school sisters who established Fitness FUNatics as a way to encourage neighborhood children to exercise in a fun, safe environment
6. Irma Bijarro, Adult community health and fitness influence – participated in the City program to sell more fruits and vegetables at corner stores and went a step further, eliminating sale of beer and cigarettes at her Westside store
Videos of the MFC Healthy Heroes are available at:
The mission of the MFC is to lead San Antonio to be one of the healthiest and most active communities in the nation in which residents, groups and organizations work collaboratively to achieve targeted health and fitness goals.
For more information about the Mayor’s Fitness Council, please visit: www.FitCitySA.com.