Pittsburg County mother, Shana Suggs, is currently facing child abuse charges for treating her daughter’s head lice with gasoline. The mother poured gasoline on her daughter’s head and, according to a July 31 report by KWTV Channel 9 News in Oklahoma City, the little girl’s head caught on fire.
It is believed that the fire was started by a space heater. The little girl and Suggs both were burned. The child suffered second- and third-degrees burns over 60 percent of her body. At the time of publication, it was unknown the extent of Shana Suggs’ burns.
“I can’t imagine using gas to treat lice,” Mary Owens, a mother of four from Oklahoma City, said. “My girls all had lice at the same time. We had to get really creative to get rid of them. I never thought about using gas. And, near a space. I have no idea what that woman was thinking.”
The 5-year-old girl was treated at a Tulsa burn center. She was also a patient at Shriner’s hospital in Texas. Since being released from the hospital, the little girl has been living with relatives in Oklahoma.
Shana Suggs is currently in the Pittsburg County jail. She has a bond of $25,000. If Suggs is convicted, she could serve life in prison.