As former AWA Light Heavyweight Champion Buck Zumhofe appeared in court yesterday being charged with 12 counts of criminal sexual conduct, sources indicate that there could be more charges filed in the coming weeks and the possibility of more victims.
Zumhofe stands accused of molesting his now 29 year old daughter for a period of over 10 years beginning when she was 15 years old. The Morris Sun Tribune states that Zumhofe initially met the victim in 1998 which leads some to speculate that the victim may not be his daughter but there have been numerous posts on Facebook as well as indications from those close to the victim who have indicated the victim is a daughter of the former wrestler.
The Morris Sun Tribune stated in a recent article that the abuse started as touching and oral copulation along with forcing her to dance in her underwear and watch adult videos. The abuse would soon progress to intercourse sometimes two or three times daily then turned to two or three times a week until it ended in 2011.
The mother of the victim reportedly tried to remove her daughter from the situation but Zumhofe protested and threatened to kill himself all the while blaming the victim if he were to die.
The criminal complaint states that there were others who were aware of the “relationship” and have testified they saw Zumhofe and the victim kissing in public while dirty dancing at a school dance as well as inviting a college roommate to have a threesome with them.
There are alleged to have been more than 1,800 acts of sexual abuse occur during the period the victim was being molested.
Zumhofe stated in a 2011 interview that the victim had married someone he (Zumhofe) did not like and that she wanted to “go off and get knocked up.” Reports state that Zumhofe became violent and made threats against the victim and her husband and others once the complaint was filed. The former wrestling star is reportedly under suicide watch as he is being held on $500,000 conditional bond and $100,000 unconditional bond with no contact orders already in place.
Friends of Zumhofe fear that he may try and leave the area if not the country if he is able to post bond and get released from jail.
Former AWA commentator Ken Resnick said of this case, “anyone who knows Buck, they are not surprised by this. This is a terrible thing for the wrestling industry and absolutely horrific for his daughter, what a horrible thing to do.”
“Buck was a mid-card act at best and honestly, most promoters had a vibe about Buck that kind of said ‘hey, let’s not push this guy too hard’ because there was just something off about him,” Resnick added.
Zumhofe was previously convicted of criminal sexual misconduct and served three years in jail in Minnesota in the the 80s.
The next court date for Zumhofe is set for June 10, 2013.
Follow me on Twitter @jlwiseman13