Whoa! Here’s some clever ideas that just came across the transom from www.discovercaliforniawines.com, the company that promotes California’s lush wine areas. They created a list of adventures for children to share with their mother on her day, May 12, that includes some wild and crazy ideas such as:
- Zip-Lining with Mom Over Vineyards at Ancient Peaks Winery in Paso Robles (Central Coast): Soar over vineyards, valleys and oak trees on four epic zip-lines with Margarita Adventure Tours, then head over to the Ancient Peaks tasting room to discuss your adventures over artisan wines from the vines you both flew over ($99 per person).
- Horseback Ride and Music at Cooper-Garrod Estate Winery in the Santa Cruz Mountains Central Coast): Start your morning at Garrod Farms where you can take a guided horse ride through Cooper-Garrod’s certified sustainable vineyards ($45 per hour). Order a delicious lunch fromPicnic Guild (by May 8 for delivery to the winery on Mother’s Day) to enjoy near the historic Fruit House tasting room with a wine tasting ($5 tasting). That afternoon, the winery is hosting Music at the Vineyards , featuring flamenco guitarist Tans Gauntlett under the trees.
- Take her on a musical adventure to BottleRock Napa Valley Music Festival (May 9-12), where she can pair her favorite rock bands with wines from Delectus , Domaine Chandon , Ceja Vineyards , Schug Carneros Estate , V. Sattui Winery , Rombauer Vineyards , Silver Oak ,Miner Family Winery , Grgich Hills Estate and Boyd Family Vineyards .
For foodie families they suggest:
- Wine & Cheese Pairing at Robert Mondavi Winery in Napa Valley (North Coast): Moms will love exploring the wine and cheese kinship a little deeper as Robert Mondavi experts show her how to pair wines with artisanal cheeses from California. The one-hour program includes a tour of the beautiful estate ($45 per person).
- Pair Art, Food and Wine at Kenwood Vineyards in Sonoma County (North Coast): this takes place at Kenwood Vineyards now through May 26, where you’ll enjoy gourmet appetizers expertly paired with wines while viewing the renowned Artist Series Collection (Reservations Required – $30 per person).
- Cottages and Kitchen Tour of Hearst Castle and Taste Hearst Ranch Wines in Paso Robles Wine Region (Central Coast): Take mom on a culinary tour of America’s most famous castle, which includes a tour of its kitchens and extensive wine cellar. Then, treat her to some Hearst Ranch Winery wines in the Visitor Center, or pop over to their tasting room at Sebastian Brothers’ General Store in downtown.
- Meet the Winemakers on the Madera Wine Trail (Inland Valleys): Enjoy an intimate wine tasting experience at 12 wineries on Mother’s Day weekend, where you can meet with the winemakers on the tour, enjoy delicious food, live music and local art.
Parental pampering suggestions:
Mother’s Day Champagne Brunch and Spa Package at South Coast Winery in Temecula (just about three hours from LA) where you can treat her to a gourmet champagne brunch in the Vineyard Rose Restaurant. Kick it up a notch by treating her to a Mother’s Day Spa Package at the resort’s Grapeseed Spa now through May 30, featuring three body treatments and facial ($185 per person).
- Mother’s Day Picnic and Free Concert at Heritage Oak in Acampo near Lodi (Inland Valley): Treat Mom to live music, a picnic, and a glass of wine at Heritage Oak Winery. At 1 p.m., enjoy music by Jackie Floyd and Swing Shift, performing favorite songs from the ’60’s and 70’s.
- Mother’s Day Celebration at Lava Cap Winery in Placerville (Sierra Foothills): Enjoy wine, food and complimentary music by Julie and the Jukes from 12 noon to 3 p.m. Grab a spot on the deck or in the garden and enjoy! Gourmet deli items and picnic baskets available for purchase.
- Relax on a Wine Train in Paso Robles (Central Coast) or Napa Valley (North Coast): hop on the Central Coast Railroad Festival Wine Rail Excursions (offered the second Sunday of every month and Mother’s Day), and enjoy complimentary wine tasting and a ride on Amtrak’s Coast Starlight between Paso Robles and SLO, plus a rose for mom. The train stops at one or two wineries such as Pomar Junction or Eberle Winery ($59 per person). Or check out the Napa Valley Wine Train , which includes a gourmet lunch paired with wines and stops at wineries such as Raymond Vineyards , Grgich Hills , Domaine Chandon(Tickets: $139–$159 per person).
For more wine-soaked Mother’s Day events go to www.discovercaliforniawines.com .